Fondant/gumpaste Figures Drawing Moistness From The Air

Decorating By ladyday95 Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm by costumeczar

ladyday95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyday95 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #1 of 2

I am having big problem with my little figures. I made them ahead of time so they can harden and dry out. Has been about a week or so and this morning they were hard and dry.... I went to check them again tonight and now they feel as I just made them and are soft again.. Question?? How do I keep them from getting moist all over again after they are dry??

1 reply
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 2

Don't cover them up in an airtight container. I don't know if you had them airtight, but sugar is hygroscopic, which means that it will attract and absorb moisture from the air, so gumpaste will soften up if it doesn't have good circulation. I put a cake in a tupperware cake holder that sealed up once, and the gumpaste on it completely melted. It must have absorbed the moisture from the icing, and it was totally dry to begin with.

If you're just being affected by humidity, you could put the pieces in a place thats near an air conditioner so that the air around them is dry. You could also keep them in a container with silica gel packets, like the ones that come in shoe boxes, but I don't know if that will help if the air is really humid.

I think that once they soften up there's not a lot you can do, they'll just have to dry out again. Maybe someone has some experience with using a dehydrator, but I've never tried that so I can't give advice on how that would work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%