Coloring Frosting

Decorating By CuttingCakes Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 2:40am by CuttingCakes

CuttingCakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:25am
post #1 of 6

I made a lady bug 'smash cake' for my niece's 1st today. When I frosted it last night I used an entire 'can' of wilton no taste red and ended up with a pinkish mauveish color ( I added a drop of black to help get it darker) I didn't have any more red, so that was going to have to do. Similar situation with the black, ended up with dark grey.
When I checked on it today the colors were dark red ( actually a little darker than what I had been trying for) and black black.
My question is: is this typical? Is this something that only happens with some colors? and should I just color my frosting the night before when possible?

Thanks!

5 replies
jammjenks Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:29am
post #2 of 6

That is typical of the darker colors. They usually do darken as they sit. Some swear by Americolor and say that they don't have to use as much to get those dark colors.

JenniferMI Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:43am
post #3 of 6

First, I would avoid Wilton colors....they just are not stable....

Americolors work much better.

Jen icon_smile.gif

bbmom Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:55am
post #4 of 6

I think it happens on all the colors, I've had really pale yellow and lavendar also get darker by morning.

bbmom Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:56am
post #5 of 6

I think it happens on all the colors, I've had really pale yellow and lavendar also get darker by morning.

CuttingCakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:40am
post #6 of 6

Thanks!

I have been wanting to try the Americolors, but my family never gives more than two weeks notice and it's not sold around here.

I did notice that the colors seemed to separate a little, but just chocked it up to how much I had to use. I guess it's just one more reason to step up to the big girl products.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%