Problem With Modeling Chocolate (Candy Clay)

Decorating By lalaine Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 11:49pm by lalaine

lalaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalaine Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 4

i made chocolate clay last year several times, out of colored candy melts and out of dark chocolate. i had no problems making roses and ribbons out of it.

i made some yesterday using candy melts, both white and pink. i cant get either to cooperate. if i try to roll it out, it cracks or sticks to the rolling pin. after i cut strips with a pizza cutter, i cant roll them up into ribbon roses, it just cracks and breaks so much.

i tried adding a little crisco to one small glob, it seemed to stick together in a ball better, but when i rolled it out, i had the same problem with it cracking. i cant use it at all.

then i tried adding a little more corn syrup to another glob, it was even worse than the original batch.

so i now have 2 batches of candy that i cant seem to use for anything.

is there any way to save this and make it useable as candy clay? or should i just heat it and pour it over something like a glaze or add cream and make a ganache out of it? or is it ruined and i should throw it away?

i have more candy melts, so i plan to try again. i melted the other 2 batches in the microwave on full power, stirring every 30 seconds. is that the problem? should i have used 50% power?

please help! i bought a lot of different colored bags of candy melts, planning to make modeling clay to make figures.

i tried searching for topics in the forum on modeling chocolate or candy clay and nothing came up.

3 replies
SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 4

I wouldn't use it only because I don't know how to fix it! If you overheat, it gets yucky. I made some with the candy melts and it got really greasy. That was the first time I did it so I thought that was normal, but the second time that didn't happen. I would just start from scratch but maybe someone else will know better. Good Luck!

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 4

are you kneading the heck out of it first??

lalaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalaine Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 4

yes, it was rock hard, so i had to knead it until it was pliable. in my hands, it looked ok, like it would roll out and work right. but while rolling it out, it got so many cracks it wouldnt stay together.

i know what sweetmelissa is talking about--having it get greasy. that happened to me a few times last year. it was so wet, so much oil or liquid oozing out of the lump, that i had to keep blotting it with a paper towel.

the 2 batches i made yesterday are much drier, they dont ooze at all. thats why i thought it might have needed more corn syrup or crisco, but adding those ingredients didnt help.

i'm starting to wonder if there are 2 other factors to consider--
1) weather, temperature and humidity--today is a fairly nice day, around 70, breezy, it was cloudy this morning. i know when i tried making some last summer and it was really hot, it kept melting in my hands and was hard to work with. but todays temperature should be just perfect.
2) age of candy melts. i didnt just buy the bags, i've had them since before christmas. maybe the candy gets dry or old and wont work as well as freshly bought candy??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%