How Do You Get That Diamond Look On Your Fondant?

Decorating By sheilasite Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 2:03pm by JenniferMI

sheilasite Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 8

Hi - I am making a 3 tiered anniversary cake and I found a few
pictures on the web and was hoping someone could tell me how you get that diamond pattern on your fondant? It looks like someone took
a ruler and pressed it in the fondant and criss crossed it to make it
look like a diamond pattern. Is there a name for this and directions?

thanks!
Sheila

7 replies
lindambc Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 8

I use an impression mat for the diamond pattern. You can find them at globalsugarart.com or earlenescakes.com

Hope that helps

Ariginal Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilasite

Hi - I am making a 3 tiered anniversary cake and I found a few
pictures on the web and was hoping someone could tell me how you get that diamond pattern on your fondant? It looks like someone took
a ruler and pressed it in the fondant and criss crossed it to make it
look like a diamond pattern. Is there a name for this and directions?

thanks!
Sheila

the first time i did it 6 years ago i did just that used a ruler with the pattern i drew on paper as a stencil... now i have what looks like a patchwork cutter that imprints it onto the icing only problem i find is that the size it is doesnt always look very good on the deeper cakes so i still use the paper and ruler for the bigger diamond shapes.

Peridot Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:41am
post #4 of 8

What you need to get is a diamond quilter - there are several sites that sell them. Just Google diamond quilter cutters and they also come in different sizes and shapes. You just place in on the side of your cake and rock to the left and then to the right. You can go over it with a tracing wheel if you want but it leaves a good impression.

The impression mat is ideal for buttercream where as the diamond quilter is used for fondant.

JenniferMI Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #5 of 8

I only use the three diamond quilter and the larger tooth stitch wheel. I think that combination makes it "puff" our really nice...like a jacket. I also use a normal layer of icing and a thin layer of chocolate fondant. See pic below.

Questions? Feel free to e-mail me.

I'm happy to try and help.

Jen icon_smile.gif
LL

Vylette Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:08am
post #6 of 8

that is just gorgeous, Jennifer!

tirechic Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:20am
post #7 of 8

icon_surprised.gif Umm.... I wanna be like Jennifer when I grow up, anybody else withme, look at her photos. Sorry, to hijack, but seriously look at her stuff. I dont really have any thing to add, was wondering about the
"quilted" look myself.

JenniferMI Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you for your kind words on my work.... icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%