All Done, But How Do I???

Decorating By Creative_chika Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 9:34am by Rylan

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 10

I made a cake for a cake auction at church... Its the newest cake in my pictures white with flowers... I'm not sure how to keep it fresh until tomorrow because it has cheesecake filling... Actually I left it out and covered last night... So, does anyone know if this will stay frsh or what I can do??? Please help... icon_rolleyes.gif

9 replies
briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 10

It should be refridgerated, due to the cheesecake filling. Will it fit in your fridge? If not, could you take it to the church tonight and keep it in their fridge until you need it tomorrow?

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 10

If the filling contain cheese then I'm sure it needs to be treated like fresh cream and refrigerated.

Creative_chika Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 10

yES ITS SMALL AND FITS IN MY FRIDGE, ITS BEEN OUT FOR A WHILE NOW, DO YOU THINK ITS STILL FRESH? AND DO I NEED TO WRAPI IT UP IN THE FRIDGE? REFRIGERATOR OR FREEZER? THANKS!

Creative_chika Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:08am
post #5 of 10

Can anyone please tell me ifI should put the finished fondant cake in the freezer or refridgerator, and if it should be wrapped/covered... icon_smile.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:16am
post #6 of 10

Just sit it in the fridge...no wrapping. That will make it sweat and that's not a good look for fondant....or BC. icon_razz.gif

That should be enough! icon_biggrin.gif

Nice cake too!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:38am
post #7 of 10

I've haven't put fondant covered cake in the fridge yet (but I haven't used any perishable fillings either) but I was reading about this very thing (went in search of something else) just yesterday and the response from Colette Peters was (It's about 1/3 of the way down):

<lisa> Can you refrigerate a cake covered in fondant?

<KathyT> Won't fondant sweat if refrigerated?

<Colette_Peters> You can refrigerate cakes with fondant if you cover them with plastic wrap first.

http://www.pastryscoop.com/conferencesAndEvents_chat22.html

I don't know if that's the best way to do things or not but I just thought it was worth mentioning.
If you do decide to cover it, keep the wrap on the cake until it it reaches room temp so if it does sweat it should do so on the outside of the wrap not on the fondant.
If you don't cover it and the fondant starts to sweat than let it dry by itself (don't touch it).

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 7:44am
post #8 of 10

Well actually if you leave the plastic on after taking it out, with fondant on, it will cause the moisture on the plastic to drip onto the fondant and that will make your fondant wet. Wet fondant = running color and sticky fondant.

Leaving the plastic on after removing from refridgeration applies only to cakes that are crumb coated and frozen. This allows for the cake to thaw thoroughly, and keeps the moisture in. Thawing a frozen cake uncovered will cause a dry cake.

I've done plenty of cakes with fresh, dairy based fillings and fondant, and sitting them in the fridge uncovered is no problem at all.

If your fondant isn't dusted or painted, I guess you could cover it, but it's not really necessary.

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:10am
post #9 of 10

I just put a fondant covered cake in the fridge last night, took it out today, after about 18hrs. in the fridge, and it was fine today. It was uncovered in the fridge, and sat out for a while maybe 3hrs. and it was fine...no sweating for me!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:34am
post #10 of 10

I have refrigerated a finished fondant cake with no problems. I did wrap it in plastic wrap and then once I took it out, I took the plastic wrap off. It was fine.. no sweating at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%