Round Towers From Gingerbread??

Decorating By CakesByJen2 Updated 2 May 2009 , 6:19pm by Rylan

CakesByJen2 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 7

My daughter has to build a model of a castle for social studies, and we decided to make it out of gingerbread.

She'd rather have round towers than square, but I have no clue how to make them.

Any ideas??? Thanks!

6 replies
kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 7

Can you find a carboard box - like from salt, oatmeal or something similar that is the right size? Cover that in aluminum foil, grease & put your gb on it to bake. It will be fine - it won't catch fire.
Otherwise you have to get some metal striping from someplace like Lowe's, wash, shape then cover that with foil.

ApplegumKitchen Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 7

I'd just make a WHOLE lot of round discs the size of the tower you want and stack them one on top of each other until you reach the desired height..... probably have to secure each one with a blob of royal icing .
You could then overpipe your towers to make it look like blockwork

leahk Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 7

I think that Apple's suggestion would be the easiest.
Along the lines of Kakeladi's suggestion- you could use aluminum foiled wrapped toilet paper rolls.

Good luck!

Deb_ Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 7

All good suggestions, but if I were doing it, I'd save myself all that trouble and make them out of RKT.

Bijoudelanuit Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 7

I've baked half round tubes, much like they said- except that I used soup cans that I wrapped together in foil. I cut the dough to drape over half the can and then used royal icing to glue the sides together... when you decorate it will cover the seam up!

Rylan Posted 2 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 7

I'm not sure where I've seen it but as far as I recall, I've seen someone bake it in a rectangular shape and one it's done (of which it is still soft), they immidiatley put it on top of a roundish can shaped opject for it to dry. They made two of those and then put it together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%