Gumpaste Tiara Help!

Decorating By jardot22 Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 11:54pm by jardot22

jardot22 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 5

I am trying to make a gumpaste tiara for the first time. I am following Sharon Zambito's tutorial, however I am trying to make a tiara that is not one solid piece. I used a clay extruder to make long snakes of gumpaste, which I bent into different shapes and glued together onto the sheet of waxed paper. However, it won't hold it's shape as I try to move it to the coffee can I'm using as a mold for it's round shape. Any suggestions? It also isn't sticking to the waxed paper on the coffee can very well, even though I put a thin layer of shortening on it. I'm not sure what else to do.

4 replies
Rylan Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure about what to do to hold its shape but in my experience, I use parchment paper and then use edible glue to stick the gumpaste onto the parchment paper. When it dries, the parchment paper peels off.

Laurascakefactory Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 5

What did you use to glue it together with?

maybe try using just a few tiny drops of royal icing to glue to the wax paper???

sugarshack Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 5

I would assemble the snakes right on the can, not try to move them over. use more crisco to hold them on. it will release later.

jardot22 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 5

I used a little glue I made with gumpaste and water. It's been drying for a few hours now, after I got it to finally hold it's shape on the can. I hope it stays that way! Otherwise back to square one, and next time I'll just do it right on the can. Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%