Wow - Very Cool! How Do I Make Them??

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 12:43pm by mommy_of_3_DDs

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 19

So I found these REALLY neat looking desserts. I'm not sure how to make them though. They look like chocolate wraps, but I'm not sure what they're covering (if anything). Anyone wanna help?
LL

18 replies
lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 19

Ok, looks like picture isn't showing up...

Just go here: http://www.bissingers.com/items/item-6020.jpg

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 19

very cute! they look like little tulip cups icon_biggrin.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 19

ive seen these done in moulds i think, filled with things like mouse. but i imagine you could cut a shape of cake too.
xx

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 19

It looks like a chocolate shell filled with chocolate mouse and fruits...

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 19

This are sold in boxes, they are very expensive to make your own ones you'll need the mold. They are very time consuming

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 19

not sure how to make the striping but i did see .. oh i think on Martha stewart years ago- to make similar ones- take one of those long balloons and dip them in melted chocolate- i'm thinking you may have to cool it a bit more to make sure not to pop the balloon, it has been a few years since i saw the show. but i did see her do something similar on the show

victoriacakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoriacakery Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 19

Very neat! I saw something similar done on a show called "Death By Chocolate" many years ago. He blew up water balloons and dipped them into tempered chocolate. You can get a marble effect by drizzling one color over the other while still warm or make stripes like your picture shows. He then let them sit on a parchment lined sheet pan until set and then popped the balloon. To get he scalloped look, just tilt to one side then another direction and so on. Good luck.

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 19

The chocolate cups are sold at Sur La Table and other specialty stores around the country. We have a store here called International Foods. I have purchased many different kinds of chocolate cups from them and filled them with my own recipes. I have found that it is easier and cheaper to just buy the cups already made

Kelly

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 19

You can try something a little different by melting chocolate and brushing the inside of cupcake liners and letting dry and keep adding layers of chocolate till it has the thickness you desire and then just peel away the paper. You can add white chocolate later by drizzling or painting lines on it. It will be pleated but still very cute.

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 7:06pm
post #11 of 19

Here is a simple way to make something similar........you need a bag or other small container that is lined with wax paper and that you can tear away. I used to make them with unused small potato chip bags that I would get from a chip packaging company in Baltimore. They were the little tiny bags for snack sized chips and were paper with a waxpaper coating on the inside. You just melted the chocolate, used a pastry brush or paint brush to coat the bottom and them up the sides of the of the bags and then set to dry. When they were dry, just rip away the paper and you have fillable chocolate bags. I would pipe in white chocolate mousse and raspberries.....yum.
It was a tiny bit time consuming, but not too bad and super easy. Stripes are not that hard to make either. My college buddies and I did these in our apartment a few times, so obviously not so hard.... icon_cool.gif
Hope that helps, Heather

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm
post #12 of 19

Ah....mariu must have been typing the same time as me. thumbs_up.gif You can also use the little milk cartons, like the kind kids get in school lunches, small glassine bags or containers...... maybe even chinese takeout boxes? Super easy and creative. Have fun.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 7:10pm
post #13 of 19

Those chocolate cups are really cute,I love them.

GenGen Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 7:52pm
post #14 of 19

thank you victoriacakery!!! it WAS his show i saw it on.. used to watch it faithfully hubby too till we could no longer get the show

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:09am
post #15 of 19

I know the company "Lucks" has these in many didfferent styles.
Lori

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:44am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

not sure how to make the striping but i did see .. oh i think on Martha stewart years ago- to make similar ones- take one of those long balloons and dip them in melted chocolate- i'm thinking you may have to cool it a bit more to make sure not to pop the balloon, it has been a few years since i saw the show. but i did see her do something similar on the show

That actually would work. If you wanted a solid color, just dip. If you want a design paint it on the balloon. very labor intensive for that though. The animal balloons (the ones clowns twist up into animals for kids) would make just the right size.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:04am
post #17 of 19

Just playing devils advocate...how do you make the baloon food safe? Is there a way you could cover it so it would still have a nice smooth surface?

I have heard of this method before but it always made me think of latex allergies, since I had a co-worker who was allergic to latex. In our whole 4 floor building, you could not bring in latex balloons for any birthdays or celebrations. Had to go with Mylar.

GenGen Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:16am
post #18 of 19

hm possibly cover with saran wrap/sandwich bag?

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:43pm
post #19 of 19

I agree about the latex allergy... if I ate something formed on a latex balloon I would end up in the ER....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%