Orange Dreamsicle Cake Help???

Baking By Lisaa1996 Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 10:39pm by Lisaa1996

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 14

I am trying to make an Orange Dreamsicle cake that Macsmom had suggested. I am supposed to use a vanilla mousse filling but I am not sure how to make that. Does anuone have a recipe they can share or thoughts on a different filling for this cake?
Thanks icon_smile.gif

13 replies
Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 14

I used the filling from this recipe. http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4643-0-Orange-creamsicle.html Except in place of the cool whip, I used pastry pride. Everyone loved it. The cake mix recipe on that link has Macsmom's old recipe, I believe she changed it once she discovered the wasc.

Michellers Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 14

Oh, and I think I remember from reading the gourmet thread, Macsmom's mousse was bettercream/pastry pride and pudding mix. Whip the bettercream, add pudding mix and whip until thick.

Lisaa1996 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 14

Awesome...that's sounds like what I was looking for...off to the grocery store icon_smile.gif
Thank you so much!!!

Michellers Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 14

You're welcome. icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:06am
post #6 of 14

What is the correct orange dreamsicle recipe - I am not able to find it in the hundreds of pages of the Gourmet Flavors thread. It takes hours to go through it and my computer is so slow. Can some please post this recipe for me?

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:15am
post #7 of 14

BJNZ all the recipes are listed & kept up to date here:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

Lisaa1996 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #8 of 14

I used Macsmom's recipe because she rocks!!
It is 1 box white
2 cup melted orange sherbert
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 yoplait orange creme yogurt invidual cups
1 pkg. vanilla instant pudding
3 eggs
2 TBS. oil
2 Tsp. orange extract

I doubled this to get a two tier cake plus a handful of cupcakes. Also, I couldn't find orange extract at my grocery so I subst. 1 tsp. of coconut extract . Smells sooooo good and my DH has been licking the bowl instead of waiting for the cakes to cool, lol!!!

Peridot Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:32am
post #9 of 14

cas17

THANKS - I have saved the link!!

Lisaa1996 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:38am
post #10 of 14

oops, I guess mine is a little different than Macsmom according to the link but it came out awesome anyways icon_smile.gif

Peridot Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:46am
post #11 of 14

Lisaa1996

That is why I was asking - as I knew there were some changes to this recipe and I am going to try making it in a few weeks and I wanted to know what was the correct one to use.

But if yours turned out great I am going to try the recipe you posted. The Gourmet link is just way toooooo long and after a while you don't know what is correct.

Thanks for answering my question.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:50am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJNZ

cas17

THANKS - I have saved the link!!

thumbs_up.gif

Lisaa1996 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #13 of 14

Awesome...we are going to eat the cupcakes tonight and the cake tomorrow icon_smile.gif. I will take a census and let you know, lol!
I know what you mean about the changes. I actually copied it from a thread yesterday where Macsmom wrote it and then I saw it the other way? Probably can make it either, not a very specific recipe icon_wink.gif

Lisaa1996 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:39pm
post #14 of 14

ok, Peridot..the census is in. I had my hubby, three kids, two neighbors and their 5 kids combined all try the Orange/Coconut Dreamsicle recipe......a RESOUNDING YUMMMMMMMM! They all loved it!
Couple of points I would make though...make SURE you use Betty Crocker and not DH...DH will make it too sticky and chewy tasting. Also, minimize the cocnut as it is a very overwelming flavor or just go with orange. Everyone loved the coconut but it wasn't the TRUE Orange Dreamsicle cake icon_smile.gif. I also filled it with Vanilla Pudding mixed with Cool Whip. Next time I will use 2 cool whip containers to one pudding...it came out very thick 1 to 1 and I had to add some milk to thin it out.
Good Luck...let me know what you think icon_smile.gif!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%