My First Topsy Turvy Cake Collapsed...

Decorating By grammynan Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 7:48pm by grammynan

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 13

I made my first topsy turvy cake this morning. I was hesitant to make it, but I did. When I put it together I was a nervous wreck. It was really leaning to one side. I guess I should have rotated the tiers and set them on differently. But I just wasn't sure how to do it properly. Anyway, instead of delivering it, which I now know I should have done, the customer picked it up. I asked her to call me and let me know that it got there ok. Well it collapsed. She said she turned a corner and she was holding on to the box and she could feel it fall over. I feel sick! I told her when she ordered the cake that I couldn't guarantee it but I still offered to give her half her money back. She said no because she salvaged the top two tiers and they're gonna eat the bottom anyway.

I feel so bad. I was hoping that sharing this with everyone would help me feel better but I still feel terrible. I guess the moral of this story is to practice something you're no comfortable with and/or go with your gut feeling. I guess I learned the hard way. One thing I know for sure is that I'll never make another topsy turvy cake!! Will I ever get over this?

12 replies
farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 13

oh icon_cry.gif I am so sory your cake collapsed .
but don't feel bad anymore it happend some times and try to make another one later and have fun.
today I made 8 cupcake bouqets for my friend as a gift for her DD
but this morning when she come to pick them up some of the butterceram slide of the cupcake
I JUST ANT TO icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND

ncox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncox Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 13

Do not say you will never make another topsy turvy cake because the first time you did it wasn't successful. I bet you learned alot from this cake and the next one will be a whole lot better. We never get better if we don't try to do them again. I've never done a topsy turvy but have read some great tutorials on the web. Do a search for them and hopefully they will help you next time. Good Luck!
Nikole

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 13

First of all...{{{HUGS}}}

Second...don't feel too bad for too long. These things happen and that's how we learn and improve. Now you'll know not to have the client pick it up; you'll know to position the tiers differently.

You did the right thing by offering a partial refund. Luckily you had a very understanding client but I bet she loves the taste of the cake just as much and it obviously wasn't too bad of a disaster since she was able to still serve the bottom.

Not sure if you used a tutorial or not but there are many good ones here & on youtube.

Here are a few links:

I've never personally done a topsy turvy so can't give more helpful tips but I'm sure if you describe what method you used and the steps, someone with more expertise will come by and help out.

I hope you get back on the horse and try again.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 13

customers need it really spelled out when they take home the cake. it needs to be on a perfectly flat surface. if she was holding on to it, it was either in her lap or on the passenger chair, which isnt going to help a cake stay upright, even if it doesnt have leaning issues.
the bright side is, she sounds like a great customer, seeing as how she had a really practical reaction!
like ncox said, im sure you learnt a lot more about how to do this kind of cake, so your next one will be better icon_smile.gif just give your self time to recover, and take it on as a challenge for a cake in your family.
xx

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 13

grammynan please don't say you wont make another,it's not your fault ,you expressed your concern to the customer.Your cakes are lovely though but i couldn't find a picture of a topsy turvy.Would have loved to see it.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 13

Dont feel bad, my first topsy tuvey cake fell as well, but I have done several since then, just know that it happens. As you can do is just get back up, and keep trying until you get it right.!!!!! Dont get discouraged!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 13
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 13

Don't despair..We all learn from our mistakes.. It only gets better with practice..
Edna

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:20pm
post #10 of 13

I'm so sorry and sorry that you feel badly. But in hindsight....look at all you've learned from this cake. Yes, you can make a topsy turvey, just with a few adjustments on your original attempt!!! icon_wink.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:23pm
post #11 of 13

I feel for you! But here's something to ponder...
Think of everything you can now do very good. Now think of the first time you tried it... Was it as good as it is now that you have practice? Probably not. Don't let this discourage you, rather encourage you to keep at it until you have it covered!

cecerika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cecerika Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:29pm
post #12 of 13

My first one collasped as well. Luckily, it was for my daughter's birthday. In the morning, I decorated cupcakes for her party. Noone ever knew about the cake crash, however, I did learn from it and well, did it again, an voila!!! It was a beauty, so do it again. Best of Luck!!

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 7:48pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks, guys, for all your kind words and encouragement. Also thank you for the references to the tutorials. I was following "Family Fun" directions and there's no comparison to the directions on Youtube!!

I feel a whole lot better and I'm feeling better about trying again!

Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%