How Do You Create Verticle Cakes?

Decorating By Ahunt Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 12:56am by SweetMelissa2007

Ahunt Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 13

So my husband has a birthday coming up and since he is a body builder I wanted to make a dumbell. I have the idea of making two different sized rounds for the weights. I am not sure what to use for the bar or how to go about setting up the cakes being that they would actually be on their side!! All my stacking experience has been up not out! Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

12 replies
TantalizingTreats Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 13

What about making the old style of dumbell .. the one with the balls on the end... you can do 2 soccer ball cakes, cover them in black icing or fondant and then write a wieght on them.. like 100lbs each or something. Any ideas for the bar? Sounds like it will be a great cake... cant wait to see pics.

clovely Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 13

I've done a baby rattle like that - with the sports ball pan on either side of a large dowel.

If you really wanted to make it look like a barbell, though, instead of cakes on their sides, I'd think maybe stacking several and then carving it into that shape would be safer. Might be a pain but I can't fathom how you'd get a cake to basically stand on it's side. Maybe someone will have an idea. Would be very interesting.

OR, another idea, maybe you could make a rack...

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 13

What if you did it like a barbell standing on it's side so it looks like a capital I. then you can do 2 round cakes, one on bottom and one on top with something in the middle for the part of the barbell you hold. Maybe, if you screw a thick wooden dowel to a plywood bottom "cake board" then slide the bottom layers over it then screw the dowel to another plywood cake board on top and place the second set of layers on top of that. It may be scary to move but if it;s for your husband, do you not have to bring it far? Good Luck!

terrylee Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 13

Maybe a small square cake on the bottom and an old fashion bar bell made out of rice crispies. covered with black fondant and a fondant covered towel between.
Depends on how much cake you could stack two cakes say maybe a 12 and 8" layers and bar bell on top and smaller ones and equipment else where on the cake.

terrylee Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 13

Do a search under "weights" there are some ideas there....hope this helps.

goldenegg Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 13

you could do a half dumbell, as in cake halves on either side w/ half bar. or do the weights separate from the bar, so they kinda lay slightly overlapping on each other and the bar is laying there next to the weights or even put cupcake size weights on the bar and lay bigger weights next to it.

milliemoo Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 13

I would do 2 of the ball cakes as TantalizingTreats suggested.

For the bar, cover a dowel in fondant and push into the side of each cake. Hope this helps.

Ahunt Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I get one idea in my head and then try and figure that out instead of figuring out other designs icon_smile.gif I have til June 10 but I will post some pics when I get it done...... just wanted to get prepared for it ahead of time, we have a baby coming this month!!!

solascakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:34pm
post #10 of 13

Ahunt Congrats on your baby,and Good luck for the cake,it sounds interesting.

todolomio Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:06pm
post #11 of 13

I would do the bar in rice krispies and cover it with fondant.

7yyrt Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:34pm
post #12 of 13
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:56am
post #13 of 13

Here's another idea-what if you did a sheet cake in the shape of a weight bench with a set of dumbbells on the floor next to it? You could make a base from plywood (at a slight angle like at the gym where they lay on it) with legs made from dowels and then place a carved sheet cake on the plywood base. Then you could make RKT dumbbells covered with fondant on the floor or maybe the 2 bars that go straight up at the head of the bench that you place the barbell on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%