Ladies....i Need Help/suggestions!!

Decorating By KellJ Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 8:23pm by Stephi1

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:50am
post #1 of 7

I got an order for a baby shower in June and they are wanting 30-35 individual 2x2 baby blocks frosted in buttercream. Everyone I've talked to thinks I am nuts for doing this. The theme of the shower is a tea party so all the food is going to be little and they wanted the cake to be little too.

So frosting these little blocks is going to be a pain in the @$$! They DO NOT want fondant but I haven't talked to them about maybe doing poured fondant like on petit fours. Or I was thinking about frosting them all in a small star tip all with fondant accents.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, tips that you could offer??

Thanks!

6 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:13am
post #2 of 7

What about rolled buttercream. They can have the taste they want with the a little more ease of a rolled icing.

nia0524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nia0524 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:15am
post #3 of 7

Bake as sheet cakes and cool (cold but not frozen) and cut. If 2-layers, fill before cutting. Make sure to work with them while they are cold...that'll help with the crumbs. Work with a few at a time. Ice the little cakes and store in the fridge/freezer until ready to decorate.

A few months ago, I hosted a cake decorating party for my now 8 year old daughter and I baked sheet cakes, cooled them completely, and cut them with a large circled cookie cutter before putting some filling between the layers to sandwich them together. I placed them in the freezer to get them really cold, and iced each individually. It took a little time, but it got done. I did start a few days before the party.

Good luck, and post pick.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:17am
post #4 of 7

I think the idea of poured fondant is prob the easiest and it's yummy too!!

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 7

bump

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 7

I would suggest rolled buttercream as well. There is a recipe here on CC icon_smile.gif. I like it a lot.

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 7

I think poured fondant is a great idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%