So Embarassed To Ask This Question.....

Decorating By michr09 Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 1:24pm by michr09

michr09 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 9

I am planning on trying my hand at decorating a cake for my daughter's 1st birthday, so I've been spending so much time researching this site. However, I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to so far and it's VERY basic. Please excuse the lack of proper decorating lingo!
Okay- I want to make a round stacked tiered cake (10 inches, 8 inches, & 6 for the top). Do I bake these cakes in 3 separate pans and torte them so I can put a filling in each layer? Or do I need to bake two 10 inch cakes, two 8 inch cakes, and two 6 inch cakes?
In other words, do I need a total of 3 cake pans, or 6?
I hope this makes sense to someone!

8 replies
plbennett_8 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:44am
post #2 of 9

Ok...this is the difference between layers and tiers, and everyone goes through it...chuckle... icon_smile.gif Think of just baking a regular cake for Sunday Dinner. It is 2 "layers" of cake. When you stack cakes on top of each other the 2 layers become 1 tier... Whether you torte each layer is up to you... So yes, you need a total of 6 "layers" to do a 3 "tier" cake... icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps!
Pat B.

kimmy37 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:58am
post #3 of 9

excellent reply PatB
.... just wanted to add.... don't break yourself buying 6 cake pans if you are just starting out. You could just get one of each and bake each size twice. Chances are you won't be baking all six layers at once anyhow. icon_surprised.gif) Good luck!! icon_surprised.gif)

Lisaa1996 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #4 of 9

You can do it either way. As long as the cake is high enough, you can torte it to get two layers. I just made the same size cake that you are doing for my daughter's birthday last week and I baked 6 cakes. Mainly because I wanted a bit more height and to split a cake instead would make it smaller. Hope this helps ?

aliciag829 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:15am
post #5 of 9

Some people either use 2 (2 inch deep) pans of each size to make each tier and just put filling between the 2, or they use 1 (3 inch deep) pan of each size and torte and fill it. It depends on how high you want each tier to be.

I prefer to use 2 (2 inch deep) pans of each size because I like the depth. If you want to only spend your money on 3 pans, I would just get a 3 inch deep pan in each size you need and torte it.

JMO.

CakeandDazzle Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:14am
post #6 of 9

I bake all my cake 2 of each size then cut each in half. So i have 4 layers of cake per tier. for example a 6 inch and 8 inch. Would bake 2 6in cakes and 2 8in cake cut each in half and layer. But the way you do it is all about your own personal prefernce... some people do 3 layers of cake, some do 2... all about what you want!! icon_smile.gif

hensor Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 9

Yes definitely dont' go out and buy 6 cake pans. For example let 2 bake and then cool while the other is baking. Hope it helps.

3GCakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:19pm
post #8 of 9

If you don't have any pans, I would suggest buying the 3 inch pans, and then you always have the option of making a 2 inch or 3 inch cake.

michr09 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:24pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much everyone- your advice helps a lot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%