Friday Night Cake Club - 4/24

Decorating By janelwaters Updated 18 May 2009 , 6:33pm by SHogg

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:08am
post #1 of 58

Where is Leahs?? Are we having a "meeting" tonight????

I'll start, I'm currently working on a jungle themed cake for a 3 year olds birthday party tomorrow. I have my gumpaste animals mostly made - a couple are still headless and now I'm off to ice the 6 and 8 inch cakes.

What are YOU up to tonight??

57 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:19am
post #2 of 58

Hey Janel!

Just surfin' tonight. I've finished 4 cakes since last Friday and I work full-time. Busy week. Time to rest. Good luck on your Jungle Cake.

Judy

p.s. Did you see our guild is moving to Wednesday nights, starting next month?

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:30am
post #3 of 58

I am here, working on some gumpate decorations for a cake for tomorrow.

janelwaters Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #4 of 58

OH JUDY!!! you just made my night!!! I can actually come Wednesday nights!!! Sundays are just too hard! I'm so excited!!

You sure did have a busy week!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:34am
post #5 of 58

I finished one communion cake and out the door and about to stack the next but lo and behold... a ginormous blow out. and of course the tiers are nearly naked. i have the hole cut out and now and letting it dry out before i patch, stack and decorate.

taking this time to eat and surf!

happy caking all!

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:34am
post #6 of 58

I'm here too!

I delivered a first communion cake a little while ago, since I'll be going to the NYS ICES WOS in the morning! I can't wait! Pulling sugar with Keith this weekend! icon_biggrin.gif

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:36am
post #7 of 58

well i just finished 2 cakes for my sons play. They were very simple just 3 roses and leaves, and two borders. They are to used as props, but i think they will be mostly if not all gone by the end of the play. The other is for tom nights performance, had to do both today, because i have to work tom. But they were all asking him if he just went a bought a cake, now for most ppl that would be good, but did that mean my cakes look like wally worlds? Teenagers!! gotta love em. What is everyone else up to.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:36am
post #8 of 58

yes, I'm here. Traditionally I call us to order between 10:30 and 11 PM Eastern Time.

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:43am
post #9 of 58

Hi, can anyone join lol. I've been working on a Nascar Ricky Rudd car and I'm just making the sponsers and numbers from fondant. I'm very excited about this project can't wait to post the pics. This is by far the nicest cake I've ever made. Sorry if I'm being a butinski.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:46am
post #10 of 58

YAY! This is the first time I've participated in FNCC icon_biggrin.gif

Im working on a three tier wedding cake (6,10,12) all fondant. I've got everything covered, but I have to go through and put about 16 billion silver dragees on the tiers. UGH! WTF anyone would want to subject their guests to those things is beyond me.

I finished up a tiered baby shower cake (in my pics), an octopus birthday cake, and a strawberry pirouline cake earlier today so Im ahead of schedule!

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:51am
post #11 of 58

Sounds like ev1 has been busy! Please post all pics when your done. Everything sounds so different and interesting. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:53am
post #12 of 58

Me... My day job moved into our brand spanking new building this week! icon_smile.gif My rear is dragging...lol Moving a business is no more fun than moving your house... Where DOES all that Stuff come from... icon_confused.gif Of course, I had to make us a moving cake...not much to look at, but they loved it any way... Used an eatable image of that overloaded donkey cart...

TGIF,
Pat B.
LL

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:53am
post #13 of 58

Sharon,

What is a blow out?

Thanks

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:55am
post #14 of 58

Working on my daughter's first holy communion cake for this sunday. Doing the cake AND the party has been very stressful!!! icon_cry.gif
Baked all day, just filled and crumbcoated, now it's on to fondant tomorow and up late again tomorrow night.

janelwaters Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:04am
post #15 of 58

Oh Leahs - I didn't realize what time you started it - I guess I will know for next weekend!! ha Totally didn't mean to jump the gun on you!!

Sharon - I was just about to come on here and sing your praises AGAIN! Your buttercream DVD was THE BEST money I have ever spent!! I made your buttercream for the first time last night and I just used it to ice my cake (In record time I might add!!). This stuff is AMAZING!! Even thought I still had some air bubbles in my icing (I'm sure that was user error!) it just came out totally smooth and perfect!! AMAZING!!! I'm so excited about your icing!!

Ok - I'm done gushing! I have to go and ice my 6 inch, stack, pipe my grassy border and make some trees..

.... in the jungle, the mighty jungle.......

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:17am
post #16 of 58

Earlier this week, I had an almost caketastrophe with a play cake. I got it put back together but had to put it to the back burner to fill a couple of last minute orders and research some cake designs for a quote (about 20 emails later, she informs me that a relative is going to do it...oh well...it was for a wedding cake in 2 weeks). I brought the play cake back to the front and because it's all round and all white...I just can't think of anything to do with it...I really wish i had not have iced it all white).

I really could use some advice about a business issue but can't disclose it publicly...never know who might be reading and I truly don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

So, here I sit with a freakin' 5 tier WHITE, ROUND cake in front of me with a load on my mind and it ain't this cake!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:26am
post #17 of 58

I'm here too. I've been at it all day long! Right now I have finished tomorrow's wedding cake and am making a ton of bananas for a monkey cake due in the morning. Just figured I could make bananas in front of my computer screen as well as I could in my dining room.

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:35am
post #18 of 58

Janel- you make me laugh. My daughter is in love with the hippo and dog singing in the jungle on Youtube.

Leahs- nice to know we can count on you every week! Thank you so much.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:46am
post #19 of 58

I'm very excited I get to join in tonight...I don't do many cakes!

Just finishing up a gift box cake thanks to Sharon's Boxes and Bows DVD. Gotta make a few Duff roses for inside the box and attach the bow to the lid.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:49am
post #20 of 58

I'm in too!

I'm working on a 4 tier wedding cake that has to be delivered an hour away at 10:00 in the morning! After 40 hours of regular work this week, plus this cake and 4 full sheet cakes -- my tail is dragging!! I started all of the full sheetcakes last night and finished them before & after work today and they aren't due until Sunday - but with another commitment with my family for tomorrow afternoon - they are chilling nicely in the fridge waiting patiently for delivery.

So I am totally pooped and unmotivated to finish this wedding cake - but I had better get off of here and get to it!! I may have to have some cheering from the FNCC to get through this one tonight!!

It is wedding season here in the midwest -- I have 8 wedding cakes in 10 weeks - tomorrow being the 1st!! Is everyone else covered up in wedding cakes too?

Suze

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:53am
post #21 of 58

Holy cow Suze!

How do you have room to chill 4 full sheets? You must have a massive fridge.

janelwaters Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:00am
post #22 of 58

OK - cakes are iced and stacked - going to put my "grass" border on and then do the trees and go to sleep - I am so flippin tired right now!! so I figure bed now (or in a few) and get up at 6:30 to finish the animal heads that I can't attach yet and be out the door ready to celebrate the 3 year olds birthday. (he's my little girls boyfriend! hehe!)

Well - It certainly sounds like everyone is slam busy this weekend!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:11am
post #23 of 58

Let's see....making ganache, lemon curd, all varieties of SMBC you can imagine, Red Velvet cake, Vanilla Buttermilk Pound cake, Chocolate Cake (Epicurious recipe).....ummmmm, cream cheese frosting. Mango curd. Yeah....tasting event tomorrow. Thank God I only do these once every three months. 6 couples and one pick up to-go order on Sunday, not too bad! Most of the couples are expecting 200 to 250 guests for their receptions...WTF??!?? I don't know 20 people I would need cake for at MY wedding...but hey, (sing songy voice) money-money-money-monnnnney....MONEY! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:22am
post #24 of 58

Jamie, how in the world do you feel confident using SMBC this time of year in Yuma? I'm scared to death to use any MBC after about March, even for inside events.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:28am
post #25 of 58

Im working on baking a cake for sunday... justing started and really wishing baking was a quicker thing... lol 2 cakes to frost and decorate, but that will have to wait to tomorrow... too tired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Let's see....making ganache, lemon curd, all varieties of SMBC you can imagine, Red Velvet cake, Vanilla Buttermilk Pound cake, Chocolate Cake (Epicurious recipe).....ummmmm, cream cheese frosting. Mango curd. Yeah....tasting event tomorrow. Thank God I only do these once every three months. 6 couples and one pick up to-go order on Sunday, not too bad! Most of the couples are expecting 200 to 250 guests for their receptions...WTF??!?? I don't know 20 people I would need cake for at MY wedding...but hey, (sing songy voice) money-money-money-monnnnney....MONEY! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Oh yum!! I only use SMBC so I am dying to know some of your variations of it! Ive only done vanilla, and chocolate!! Please please please share icon_smile.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:41am
post #26 of 58

I am working on a two tier gift box cake for my DD's best friend's birthday party tomorrow! Yikes, I think I'll be checking in here all night long!!

janelwaters Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:47am
post #27 of 58

holy crap I am so tired!!! Ok - the jungle is mostly done - I need to make my Monkey head and lion head and put it all together.

I am TOTALLY going to sleep!!!

Good night and good luck to all!!

Post pics please!!!

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:49am
post #28 of 58

It's not humid....yet! I discuss in detail the requirements of their venue locations. Must be air conditioned...and well. They sign off on it as well. I keep my studio very chilly, and keep the cakes as cool as I can until delivery time. Honestly, I've never had a problem. Now, it does reach a point where if the cake is shifted, bumped, touched, etc., the icing will move. So I get it where it's going and quick. It softens up pretty good, but then that's when it is best anyways!

I will go to any lengths to avoid having to resort to standard BC....I just can't bring myself to use it!

And a strict no outdoor reception after May. Period. It's not as bad as you;d think!

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:51am
post #29 of 58

Oh! Lori..I forgot, you're in Phoenix, yeah same weather. Also, all of the weddings I have save for one on May 2nd aren't until late Spetember and on. So I'm ok, plus, most are fondant covered.

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:56am
post #30 of 58

Cake and Dazzle...chocolate SMBC, cooled melted Ghiradelli drizzled in after it reaches it's final fluffy state......caramel, made with brown sugar instead of white sugar (to DIE for)....raspberry preserve SMBC, homemade preserves whipped into the SMBC, have to keep slightly chilled to make it hold together....lemon SMBC, just lemon extract....plain SMBC, NO vanilla...tastes wonderful! Let's see....what am I leaving out....I think that's it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%