Poured Sugar

Sugar Work By BobbiA Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 2:37am by sweettooth4chocolate

BobbiA Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 6

I have an idea that I want to try out but I need some helpful hints. Does anyone know how to cut poured sugar? Is it the same concept as cutting glass?

5 replies
underthesun Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #2 of 6

Are you asking about poured sugar that has already cooled? According to my DH, you would cut the sugar with scissors while it is still hot. But I wasn't sure which you are asking.

kincaellan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 6

Cutting cold sugar isn't a good idea. I've tried with a Dremel tool and the sugar melts from the friction. If you want to cut specific shapes you need to pour the sugar between to heat resistant sheets of clear plastic then before it cools completely you use a cookie cutter that has been oiled and cut out your shapes, after removing the top sheet of plastic of course.

www.kincaellan.com

BobbiA Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:45am
post #4 of 6

So if I let the sugar cool could I use something like what people use to cut glass for stained glass?
My concern about cutting the semi cooled sugar is that it might change the shape of the image....or I could use a razor blade or xacto knife??!!!

I love this site! It always makes you think about better and easier ways to accomplish an idea!

patticakesnc Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:59am
post #5 of 6

Pour your sugar and let it set just a bit. You want it pliable but not hard. Use a cookie cutter (metal) and cut your design.

If you do it too soon it will run back and your design will go away but if the design of the cutter stays you will be able to break the design out when it hardens.

I did it on my cupcakes in my pics. I used the cookie cutters and cut out the flowers on my easter cupcakes and the purple swirl cupcakes have a star on top that is out of sugar.

It is really easy once you get the hang of how long you need to let it cool before cutting it.

sweettooth4chocolate Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:37am
post #6 of 6

use a wood burning tool with a razor tip accessory. score your design and break off excess sugar than clean up edges. BE CAREFUL, VERY HOT

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%