Iso: Scratch Lemon Cake Recipe

Baking By ThreeDGirlie Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 9:31pm by milissasmom

ThreeDGirlie Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 8

I am looking for a great scratch lemon cake recipe, and would appreciate links or recipe suggestions.

For a frame of reference, my current favorite cake is the Mermaid Bakery's Vanilla Butter Cake... I've never been one to pick "yellow cake", but the texture and flavor of that cake are just so delightful, it makes me happy! icon_biggrin.gif I would love a lemon cake that could do the same!

7 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 8

Me too! But, if you search out Buttermilk White Cake here in the recipe has lemon in's my "go to" when I want a light crisp lemony (not too lemony though) cake.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 12:11am
post #3 of 8

Hmmm, that one looks interesting. I'm afraid it wouldn't be lemony enough though... I may have to give it a try either way though! I wasl thinking something with lemon juice.

milissasmom Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 12:18am
post #4 of 8

The only lemon cake I will allow to grace my pallet...I make it in a Bundt pan. Please let me know how you like it...Ina Garten's Recipe

1/2 pound     unsalted butter at room temperature
2 1/2 cups     granulated sugar
4 extra-large  eggs at room temperature
1/3 cup     grated lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons)

3 cups     all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon  baking powder
1/2 teaspoon  baking soda
1 teaspoon  kosher salt
3/4 cup     freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup     buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon  pure vanilla extract
2 cups     confectioners' sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons  freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease bundt pan or two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pans.

1. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, set aside.

2. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla.
3. Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, and the lemon zest.
4. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.
5. Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves and makes a syrup. When the cakes are done, let them cool for 10 minutes, then invert them onto a rack set over a tray, and spoon the lemon syrup over the cakes. Allow the cakes to cool completely.
6. For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Pour over the top of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.

CCCTina Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #5 of 8

If you love that yellow cake recipe, then use that for your lemon. Replace the vanilla extract with lemon extract or emulsion, replace some of the liquid with fresh lemon juice, and add in the zest of one lemon. Taste the batter. In my experience, if the batter has the perfect flavor to me, then once the cake is baked, the flavor is more subtle. So I tend to add more lemon flavor to the batter so the flavor is stronger in the cake. You can do the same with orange also.

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 12:41am
post #6 of 8

Oh man, I have GOT to try that cake!!! Thanks for sharing!! icon_biggrin.gif

eatdessert1st Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 8

This is a wonderfully moist lemony cake. It's my standard lemon cake recipe. (I found it on epicurious forums, I think. The original poster said it's a combination of Rose Levy Beranbaum and Flo Braker, if memory serves me correctly.) The buttercream is absolutely wonderful. I'll use 8 sticks of butter, though, instead of 10. I'll also add more lemon curd, to taste. HTH,
Melanie Mc.

Old Fashioned Lemon Butter Cake with Lemon Buttercream

Lemon Butter Cake

6 large egg yolks
3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups sifted cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 T plus 1 t baking powder
dash of salt
12 Tablespoons softened unsalted
3 tablespoons grated lemon rind

Preheat the oven to 350F

Grease and flour two 9 by 1 1/2 inch cake pans.

In a medium bowl lightly combine yolks, 1/4 cup milk and vanilla.

In a large mizing bowl combine dry ingredients on low speed. Add the
butter, 1/2 cup milk and lemon juice. Mix until moistened. Beat for 1 1/2 minutes. Add egg mixture in 3 batches beating after each addition.
Add lemon rind.

Bake for 25 to 35 minutes

For lemon curd:
5 large egg yolks
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened

For buttercream:
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup water
8 large egg whites
3/4 tablespoon cream of tartar
10 sticks (5 cups) unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened to cool room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 to 4 tablespoons eau-de-vie-de-framboise

Make lemon curd:
In a small heavy saucepan whisk together yolks and sugar and whisk in lemon juice, butter, and a pinch of salt. Cook mixture over moderately low heat, whisking, until it reaches boiling point, 5 to 7 minutes (do not let it boil). Strain curd through a fine sieve into a bowl and cool, its surface covered with a plastic wrap. Chill curd, covered at least 4 hours or overnight.

Make buttercream:
In a heavy saucepan combine sugar and water and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Boil syrup, undisturbed, until it reaches 248°F on candy thermometer. While syrup is boiling, in a standing electric mixer beat whites with a pinch salt until foamy and beat in cream of tarter. Beat whites until they just hold stiff peaks and add hot syrup in a stream, beating. Beat mixture at medium speed until completely cool, 15 to 20 minutes. Beat in butter, 1 piece at a time, and beat until it is thick and smooth. (Buttercream will at first appear very thin but as more butter is beaten in, it will thicken.) Beat in lemon curd and salt, beating until smooth, and drizzle in framboise, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating. Buttercream may be made 4 days ahead and chilled in an airtight container or 2 weeks ahead and frozen in anairtight container. Let buttercream come completely to room temperature (this may take several hours if frozen) and beat before using.

Makes about 12 cups.

September 1994

milissasmom Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 8
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Oh man, I have GOT to try that cake!!! Thanks for sharing!! icon_biggrin.gif

You will love it Bob!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%