Live Flowers On A Wedding Cake

Decorating By terri76 Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 1:37am by SweetMelissa2007

terri76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri76 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 7

How do you put live flowers on a wedding cake?

I have a cake to do with 4 tiers. Each tier has a couple of live flowers placed on the side, then the top has a small bundle of flowers on top. I've heard some people just sticking them in, then I've heard some use the flower holders and spikes. What would everyone recommend me doing since it is just a few flowers scatters around and the small amount on top?

Thanks!!

6 replies
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 7

i cut the stem relatively short and then stick it into a drinking straw and then stick it into the cake, that way the stem isn't touching the cake at all.

you can use flower picks if you like but they are way more expensive.

in the articles section you'll find a list of flowers that aren't toxic, check it out before you put flowers on the cake just to be safe, and you could always call a florist and ask what they recommend.

put the flowers in very very last so they don't wilt prematurely.

what flowers were you thinking of?

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 7

Use the flower holders. I heard that you shouldn't use real flowers because of the pesticides.

terri76 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 7

I really don't know what they're planning on using. icon_redface.gif She told me she would just have the florist leave some flowers for me to put on the cake when I take it to the church in the morning. I didn't even think to ask when I talked to the lady about it. This is my first time using live flowers, it's always been toppers.

I'll definately read the article so I'll know when I get there to set it up. Thank you for mentioning that!

The wedding isn't until tomorrow afternoon, if I set up in the morning should the flowers still be ok by tomorrow afternoon or should I go later and put the flowers on?

Thank you all for the help!!!

terri76 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 7

Anybody else have any ideas or advice?

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 7

I would sat that if you se the flower spikes, you can put a small amount of water in the bottom and then "olug the top with frosting so the stem doesn't wiggle. Also, I would put a small cake plate on the top, put a "ball" or dome of BC on top of it and stick your flowers in that. That Way, you don;t have to stick them into the top of the cake. Good Luck!! icon_smile.gif

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:37am
post #7 of 7

I would sat that if you se the flower spikes, you can put a small amount of water in the bottom and then "olug the top with frosting so the stem doesn't wiggle. Also, I would put a small cake plate on the top, put a "ball" or dome of BC on top of it and stick your flowers in that. That Way, you don;t have to stick them into the top of the cake. Good Luck!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%