Darn It...satin Ice Is Not Magic! - Vent

Decorating By shelbur10 Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 7:29pm by shelbur10

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 7

Well, I've just used Satin Ice for the first time...LOVE IT! It's easy to work with and tastes yummy, but unfortunately it did not come with any additional fondant skill. I'm desperately trying to do an Alice in Wonderland cake for tonight and it's all pleated at the bottom and lumpy looking (too much BC underneath, I think) and I have a big ugly patch on the back.
Lucky it's a very busy cake, I think I can cover all the major boo boos...I'm just so disappointed in myself. I should never had agreed to do this cake. icon_cry.gif

Thanks for listening to my vent. Off to cover up some mistakes now...

6 replies
Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 7

I feel your pain, shelbur10! I've had that same thought several times...why did I agree to do this cake??? But, without fail, when I deliver it or they pick it up, they say "I LOVE IT!" Thankfully, non-cakers rarely see the flaws that we agonize over. I can almost guarantee that ppl are gonna look at the cake and see the big picture...not each individual flaw that you KNOW is there! Post a pic when you're done and I hope it comes out great!

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 7

We are usually the most critical of our own cakes. Just remember the joy people express when they see these custom cakes. Which generic bakery cake can say that? So relax and enjoy the process. I saw your cakes..they are amazing.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 7

Sorry you are having trouble with your fondant. I am sure you can fix it. I have not used Satin Ice before but I have made my own MMF and I have used Fondx. When you say it's pleated at the bottom, was it because you tucked it down too quick? One of the things that works for me is when I drape the fondant over the cake to make sure I work the bottom out around the cake like a full skirt surrounding it. Then as I work my way down the cake very slowly always keep gently pulling the bottom out from the cake until I get to the bottom. I was taught this in a class and it really helps. Kind of like sitting down in a full skirt and pulling it out all around you to look nice and even. You would then have the fullness on your table or around your cake board and the bottom around your cake would be smooth with no pleats or puckers. You would then trim off the access and finish the bottom of the cake and trim it to fit for your last tuck.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 7

I always find that it's easier for me to elevate my cake just a little bit (with something that's smaller in diameter than the cake) just so any pleats fall below the bottom of the cake. That's my little trick for fondant.

Anyway, I'm with the other posters that said that we're our own worst critics. I'm sure the recipients will love it and won't notice any flaws. Be sure to post pics so we can see the cake.

shelbur10 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the votes of confidence, everyone! I'm adding lots of extra touches to try to cover up...my mom just stopped by and said it's so adorable, so hopefully my friend (getting the cake) & her birthday girl will think so, too.
The pleats were definitely because I didn't work the fondant right. I never have quite gotten the hang of that, obviously I just need more practice. I don't move quick enough and it starts drying and tearing...argh.
I'll post a pic when I finish up!

shelbur10 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 7

I'll try to post a pic here, but I'm not sure if I know how. If it doesn't work, it should be in my photos (alice in wonderland). I guess it came out okay, I'm not at all happy with it, but if the birthday girl likes it, I guess that's all that matters. Let's hope birthday mom can drive it 30 miles to the party in one piece!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%