What Do You Use To Moisten Cake Balls With?

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 9:35am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 26

I tried the creamer but I didn't get the results I wanted. Do you guys use buttercream? what kind? I'm thinking of selling these and I don't wanna spend too much on the binder, money-wise and time and effort wise.

TIA!

25 replies
kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 26

Many times my cake scraps are so moist I don't need anything icon_smile.gif
Sure you can use buttercream.
If you can mash & roll your scraps into balls and they hold their shape w/o adding any moisture go for it icon_smile.gif

Maybe try something like peanut or other nut butters; jam; or anything to add a bit of moisture and taste.

chilz822 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 26

I don't spend any money on cakeballs. I use cake scraps and whatever buttercream I have left over. My freezer is full of small containers of varius buttercream flavors from previous cakes and whattever scraps I currently have, I just grab a container of frosting from the freezer and go to town! I even have containers of pre-rolled cakeballs in containers from projects that were a good combination!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 26

I'm not really baking a lot of cakes or making buttercream often so i don't have anything left over icon_sad.gif

jam is a great idea! Thanks kakeladi! icon_biggrin.gif the yellow cake I made was in deed very moist already but I thought I needed something to bind them together. don't they come apart? am so afraid they will come apart since i have them on sticks. I would love to hear more tips regarding that.

thanks icon_biggrin.gif

millermom Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 26

I used creamer the first time I made them, and I thought the texture was like they were "pre-chewed" icon_razz.gif I like them MUCH better with buttercream.

noyhoward Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 26

When I make my cupcake pops I would either use buttercream or cream cheese frosting,what ever I have around @ that that time.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by millermom

I used creamer the first time I made them, and I thought the texture was like they were "pre-chewed" icon_razz.gif I like them MUCH better with buttercream.

same here. I dunno if i put too much or too little.but it just became too mushy icon_sad.gif the ones I made before I used the mock bettercreme recipe.

BCo Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by millermom

LOL- I thought the same thing, haven't made them since - but since everyone is now saying use buttercream (or something similar) I may try them again, I just thought they were too wet and mushy and not cake like. I wouldn't advise using the creamer at all. JMO icon_wink.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 26

Bturpin icon_eek.gif on your avatar! You're so lucky! I have a huge crush on him!!!

anyway, I've read on here that using creamer worked for some people but yeah I guess it just didn't do it for me. I'll try using peanut butter or jam or maybe chocolate syrup? I just don't wanna make a batch of buttercream to use for cake balls. I have only had luck with SMBC and it's a little too pricey for cake balls icon_sad.gif

bashini Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 26

Hi there, I don't use any liquid at all as my cakes are moist anyway. So I use just buttercream and cover it with melted chocolate. icon_smile.gif

schnumvf Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:46pm
post #11 of 26

First of all, I highly recommend checking out Bakerella's blog. She is the Queen of cake balls. icon_smile.gif (bakerella.blogspot.com)

Second, if your cake is of good flavor and already moist you shouldn't need anything. I think adding something to an already moist cake just makes it mushy. If I find that I need just a little bit of something I'll add a tiny splash of Karo syrup. Make sure you are putting them in the freezer to set before you dip them in chocolate. Even with a stick in them they should hold shape as long as they have been frozen first. 15 minutes is good enough. I'll just put them in the freezer on a cookie sheet. If I won't get to them until the next day I'll transfer them to ziplock bags after the 15 minutes and keep em frozen. Seriously, if you have never read Bakerella's site, you should. It's an amazing resource for cake balls.

KookieKris Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 26

Thanks for posting AKA! I was literally just logging on to CC to ask about Cake Balls ~ now I don't have to! icon_biggrin.gif

BCo Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

Bturpin icon_eek.gif on your avatar! You're so lucky! I have a huge crush on him!!!

anyway, I've read on here that using creamer worked for some people but yeah I guess it just didn't do it for me. I'll try using peanut butter or jam or maybe chocolate syrup? I just don't wanna make a batch of buttercream to use for cake balls. I have only had luck with SMBC and it's a little too pricey for cake balls icon_sad.gif

LOL- yea, I met him a 2 years ago at the Mid Atlantic Cake show. It was just as he was starting to get "hot" in the Food Network world. He's so yummy! And super nice. He talked with my son and I for a good bit. All the Food Network people that were there were super nice. I've also met the rest of the crew at their shop when I picked up a cake, they were outside at a picnic table having a staff meeting b/c it was the first nice day since winter started! Everyone is great but he's just too cute!

I think the pbutter or jam or choc syrup would work well. Or even if you have any of the sleeved filling maybe. Just something that's not too liquidy and it would give an extra layer of flavor. I'm sure you could use a canned frosting also if you didn't mind the flavor.

Bakerella has an awesome site!! Fun to read and look at all her creations!

suz3 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:46pm
post #14 of 26

I always thought they were mushy and felt already chewed. My problem was too much butter cream. I just made some with just a smidge of buttercream and they are awesome.

chilz822 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:02pm
post #15 of 26

oooohhh... chocolate syrup! I bet choc syrup and cream cheese would be the bomb or cream cheese and strawberry jam! (as long as you're refrigerating them afterwards, of course)... but yummy!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:40pm
post #16 of 26

I have been to bakerella's site. she's just awesome. all the details that go into one cakeball. it's enough to give me headaches and make me drool at the same time.

karo syrup!!! we have that here!!! and it doesn't cost as much! yay!!! I still can't believe some of you guys just use cake. it makes perfect sense, i don't know why i didn't think of that. icon_smile.gif Thanks so much!

KookieKris, you're welcome icon_biggrin.gif

sweetjan Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:57pm
post #17 of 26

buttercream! thumbs_up.gif

luv2cake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:00pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjan

buttercream! thumbs_up.gif

Me too!

nicolesprinkle Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:14pm
post #19 of 26

I have used chocolate and strawberry syrup a little goes a long way. I have also used cheese cake filling, flavored cream cheeses ( I love the honey nut and raspberry) and nutella.

Laura102777 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:23am
post #20 of 26

I love to use liqueurs. Just chocolate cake with some raspberry or orange liqueur drizzled on it. Or Bailey's, Kahlua, you name it! Yummy!

luv2cook721 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:53am
post #21 of 26

I use leftover buttercream for mine. Just a tad. I always intend to cover them with chocolate, but my daughters usually eat them so fast there is no point.

mellee Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:29am
post #22 of 26

As long as we're talking about moistening cake balls, could someone please clear up how to dip and coat cake balls? The first and only time I made cake balls I used mock whipped cream frosting. They held together fine and tasted good, but when I went to dip them, they became UGLY! They tasted great and I scarfed them all down myself, but I wouldn't DARE to give them to anyone. I used white chocolate, which I've since learned can be VERY temperamental in terms of melting. That was my first mistake. I guess I overheated it. I never got it very thin and dippable. Kind of sloshy and gross, really. But even if it were thinner, the coldness of the cake balls would have thickened it right up. Also, I don't think mine would have ever survived being on a stick. I had toothpicks in mine when they were in the freezer, thinking that would make dipping easy. The toothpicks fell right out on the first try. *sigh* I sure would like to make those little Hello Kitties that Bakerella makes! Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

chilz822 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #23 of 26

I use an Almond Bark instead of chocolate. It melts much easier. Also, adding a tiny bit of shortening to the melting process makes it all sooooo much smoother and easier to work with, and you can't taste it at all! It will also make it a little shinier.

As far as how to keep it on the stick, I haven't done them that way yet, but I think that when I dipped them, I'd probably dip a little deeper and allow some of the chocolate to get on the stick and merge the 2 together. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but in my own little head, it works like a charm! heh

nicolesprinkle Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:15pm
post #24 of 26

I always dip the stick into the chocolate and then stick them into the cake ball and freeze them. That seems to act like a glue and keep the stick inside, but they can't be really big or the weight of the cake and chocolate while you are dipping will pull them off the stick.

mellee Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 7:44pm
post #25 of 26

Thanks for those responses. I did use almond bark. I guess I should have said that instead of "white chocolate." I'll try again. This time I'll use semi-sweet chocolate. I hear that MUCH easier to work with!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:35am
post #26 of 26

argh. am so frustrated. I baked a 10" cake layer, made cake pops and the cake keeps slipping from the stick. i'm disheartened. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%