Whats Next?

Decorating By Creative_chika Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 10:07pm by Creative_chika

Creative_chika Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 7

I made some cupcakes and 4 cakes... Just for practice... I used a cheesecake lovers recipe from macmom. I though about making the cream cheese filling and decorating with fondant. I usually use buttercream under the fondant.
Question is: 1. Do I have to use buttercream under the fondant? 2. What type of buttercream is the best (maybe a recipe)? 3. What else can I use under the fondant?

Thanks for any help icon_wink.gif

6 replies
brincess_b Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 7

which ever butte crem you like the taste of, and like working with, is the one to use icon_smile.gif
you dont have to ue bc under the fondant, u can just brush on some jam, apricot is usually put forward, or any other flavour that goes with the cake. i like regular glace icing on cupcakes, which would be good with a little fondant accent.
xx

Creative_chika Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks!!! Do you think I can use the filling to cover the cake... Just a tiny coat??

brincess_b Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 7

depends what filling you mean, if its anything in a buttercream style, then probably yes. and that probably includes cream cheese things too, but it depends what its like, you might need to add more powdered sugar to get it to work.
different people use different thicknesses of bc on fondant cakes, some just do a basic crumb coat, some put on a full bc layer, so it depends what you want to eat and what you are able to work with.
xx

kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 7

You probably could use the filling but not knowing what the filling is I can't say for not say for sure.
Some of the ingredients one can use to coat the cake under fondant:
piping gel
jam or jelly that is totally smooth
buttercream - any recipe you like icon_smile.gif
cream cheese
a light spray of water (probably any liquid)

The whole purpose of something under the fondant is to make the
fondant stick to the cake.

karateka Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 7

Just make sure if you use a filling as your crumb coat or fondant stick-to coat that it isn't an acidic fruit flavor. I tried lemon once. Because I'm a dunderhead. It ate through the fondant. It was gross. Learn from my stupidity.... icon_redface.gif

Creative_chika Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 7

I was just thinking about using the cheesecake filling... ingredients: cream cheese, sweetened milk, whipped cream... doesnt taste much like cheesecake...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%