To Use Or Not To Use Fondant?!?!?!

Decorating By FH_Cakes Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 1:54am by blondeez

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 18

Until now I have strictly worked with icing. After heavy thought I decided to try Fondant, since everyone uses it. I love the versatility, but I hate the taste/texture. Am I alone in this, or does anyone else only use icing? I am not opposed to using gumpaste/fondant as accent pieces (flowers, figures...) I just can't bring myself to cover a cake in fondant.

17 replies
lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 18

If you don't mind me asking, which brand of fondant did you use? If it was Wilton, sorry. icon_smile.gif Wilton is gross. If you really want to give fondant a try, there are lots of brands that taste pretty good. You can make your own too, and the homemade fondant is very good!

Some homemade fondant Recipes"
Marshmallow Fondant: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3183-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

Regular (non-MMF) Fondant: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

If you don't like fondant, no worries, it's not like the cake police are gonna get you for not using it! icon_lol.gif There are a lot of decorators here that use BC only. thumbs_up.gif

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 18

I am going to try to do a fondant cake for the first time this weekend - I am really freaked out. I think I am going to try the MMF. Anyone have any suggestions about the best way to go about this. Just doing a 8 in. round layer cake.

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 18

I love using fondant for the look and so much more can be done with fondant than RI/BC. I peel the fondant of my slice when eating it since I have plenty of icing underneath.

LadyD1625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyD1625 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 18

I love using MMF and eating it as well! It's delicious! Fondant is very forgiving! It can be stretched and moved around until it sets. Have fun with it! If you don't like it the first time, try again. One recipe of MMF will cover 2 or 3 cakes.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 18

I use both. I prefer the look of fondant, it looks so much more refined, elegant & expensive. Buttercream cakes (even the most technically superior ones), always look bargain basement to me (sorry). I do what the customer asks for and for birthday cakes I don't really mind what they want, but thankfully no-one has requested a buttercream wedding cake yet!

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaucher

I love using fondant for the look and so much more can be done with fondant than RI/BC. I peel the fondant of my slice when eating it since I have plenty of icing underneath.

That is why I decided I need to get on board with the whole fondant thing. Wish me luck. Hotwheels, you are not alone - I have never liked the taste of fondant, so I have always used bc.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 18

I use both SMBC and fondant. It all depends on the cake. My family refuses to eat american buttercream, so unless someone asks for that specifically they get SMBC.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 18

I use MMF all the time on my cookies and really like it. But cakes are a different story. I like the look of it, but don't care for the chewy taste of it on my cake. I am doing a banana split cake for my family today and the "dish" is usually covered with fondant, but since it is family and we are all chocoholics, I made a chocolate cake and am icing with chocolate bc. I did cover the "ice cream" with fondant, but I didn't want to take the time for the dish when I know it will just get peeled off icon_biggrin.gif

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 18

Also, at a recent cake show, there were people there from a company called Fondarific. It is amazing stuff! I ended up buying the buttercream (white) flavor, but they have such a wide assortment of flavors and they were all SO GOOD!!!! I have never had fondant like that. As a bonus, you can use less of it and it stretches better than fondant. You don't even have to use shortening or corn starch to roll it out, just a tiny bit of ps. I'm about to crack into my bucket this weekend for a cake I'm doing. In case you want to check it out, the website is www. fondarific . com (Take out the spaces).

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 18

I've only used MMF up until this point, this weekend I'm going to try making Michele Foster's fondant since everyone on here raves about it, but so far the MMF has been wonderful to work with and tastes great! icon_biggrin.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #12 of 18

I've recently begun making MMF. I LOVE IT! It's sooo easy--I made several mistakes the first time, and it still came out great--really! It rolls out easy, transfers easy, and looks awesome, and even ppl who don't like fondant tell me they love the taste. I don't care for the texture, so I just put a good layer of BC underneath, and peel off the fondant like pmaucher. I would highly recommend you try it, Hotwheelschick3. The ingredients are sooo cheap (like $3.50/batch) and the batch goes a long way. Of course, it's more labor intensive than just clicking/ordering! It can be quite messy/sticky, but to me it's worth it. It's fresh, tastes great, and I can make it anytime, rather than having to wait 3-5 days for an order to come in. I'd love to try some of the other brands, and maybe I will some day. I've heard great things about many of them on here.

LadyD1625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyD1625 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #13 of 18

I've heard tell of a buttercream fondant recipe. Has anyone seen the recipe and/or used it?

BTW - with marshmallow fondant - you can roll it fairly thin and still get a good coverage.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:44am
post #14 of 18

I just started using MMF and I LOVE it! I definately prefer it to bc now. I make my own and it is really good. I just use mini marshmallows, a little water, and PS. Color it whatever you want. I just made a choc. MMF and it tasted just like a tootsie roll. My kids love it and are constantly picking at the scraps while I am decorating, lol! I just really like the looks of cakes with fondant as well. I also just started with gum paste decor. and have to say that it is much easier to work with for small decorations than MMF is. My choice is MMF for covering the cake and large decorations and gum paste for smaller stuff icon_smile.gif .

Lisaa1996 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:45am
post #15 of 18

I just started using MMF and I LOVE it! I definately prefer it to bc now. I make my own and it is really good. I just use mini marshmallows, a little water, and PS. Color it whatever you want. I just made a choc. MMF and it tasted just like a tootsie roll. My kids love it and are constantly picking at the scraps while I am decorating, lol! I just really like the looks of cakes with fondant as well. I also just started with gum paste decor. and have to say that it is much easier to work with for small decorations than MMF is. My choice is MMF for covering the cake and large decorations and gum paste for smaller stuff icon_smile.gif .

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyD1625

I've heard tell of a buttercream fondant recipe. Has anyone seen the recipe and/or used it?

BTW - with marshmallow fondant - you can roll it fairly thin and still get a good coverage.

There is a recipe on here for rolled buttercream. I used it once, but hated the way it looked, greasy and far too shiny!

Lisaa1996 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #17 of 18

Sorry , my computer is being stupid tonight and it posted my comment twice icon_sad.gif.

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:54am
post #18 of 18

I work in a bakery and work in both foundant and BC. By far I prefer all foundant but do enjoy when a BC cake gets foundant accents.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%