Annother Buttercream Question...

Decorating By Rosebud22 Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 2:34pm by Stephi1

Rosebud22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosebud22 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 6

I made buttercream last nite using the wilton recipe.(1/2butter,1/2shortening tsp vanilla 4 c ps, milk), Tasted it & it was way too sweet.My friend agreed She almost choked on it. Ended up using the wilton bc mix to ice cake w? it tasted much better! Do you think i can salvage the icing to use on a border and maybe flowers? Any suggestions? My friend told me my mistake was not measuring the sugar. I dumped in a box which it said was 15 1/4 cup servings plus an addiitional 1/4 cup

5 replies
Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 6

The wilton recipe way, way too sweet! There are some recipes on cc that are much, much better. Add some salted butter to the wilton recipe and it will cut the sweetness and you should be able to salvage- or since it is only the flowers and border it may be fine as is.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 6

I don't know about salvaging the bc, but I wanted to say that when I use boxed PS, i just use one box. I don't add any extra. (I've never looked at how many servings were in it. I just assumed it was 4 cups. I may have measured once upon a time, but I always just did 1 box.)

I think you could probably just use it anyway for borders and flowers. If people are into icing, they'll eat it anyway, and if they are not, border and flowers don't get eaten often, so no one will know it's too sweet. icon_smile.gif

Could you mix some of your bc with the wilton? Maybe that would balance it out some. I've never used Wilton bc, so I don't know if that would work.

Good luck!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 6

Just my 2 cents...........I measured the box of powdered sugar, and it came out at just a smidge more than 3 3/4 cups.........and when the recipe calls for 4 cups, I just use the one box also..................and it's always turned out fine!

Rosebud22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosebud22 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for all your input! I think I'll add some salted butter and use for the border.

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 6

let us know how it works out - best of luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%