Gluing Fondant/gumpaste Figurines

Decorating By ExcitedNewbie Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 6:00pm by tonimarie

ExcitedNewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ExcitedNewbie Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make some fondant/gumpaste characters but don't have any of the Tylose Powder needed to make the glue that would hold the pieces together.

** Is there another way to make glue until I can get some?

** ALSO, what's the best way to attach gumpaste or RI flowers onto fondant with? Would the same glue work? Would RI?

THANK YOU in advance for any help that you can be to me on this topic.

~ Excitednewbie

6 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 7

You can take 1tsp gumpaste: 1/4 tsp water. I usually save my left over gumpaste in a plastic bag. the gumpaste will dissolve in the water and works great. You can make the consistency as thin or thick as you want it.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 7

I went to a cake course on making figurines - we used water to 'glue' the pieces together as well as RI for some flowers. So I'd say that RI would be fine for attaching to fondant - maybe make a test one up if you're worried just to see how the RI squishes and how well it holds. We did use various items for propping it up and holding everything in place. I made a little baby figurine last night and just used water and today it is together just fine. Also, if you use water, use cooled boiled water (I can't remember why) and only the tiniest, tiniest amount. Just to make the fondant slightly damp (a paintbrush just dipped and then most of the water wiped back off) not so there is a big water drop as the area will dry shiny and will take forever to bond.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 7

I use vodka, which works as long as the pieces aren't super heavy. Dries faster than water.

mommakeef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakeef Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 7

I use a tiny bit of fondant and melt it in a few drops of warm water...works GREAT!

ExcitedNewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ExcitedNewbie Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 7

WOW! THANK YOU ALL for your help!! I cannot believe the immediate response to my post! You have all been most helpful and I appreciate you for taking the time to help me out. Best wishes to all of you! icon_biggrin.gif

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 7

I have always just used water and a small paint brush, just make sure you don't used to much water, because then the pieces slide around! it takes very little. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%