Why I Could Never Get Into The Cake Business

Decorating By fondantfrenzy Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 2:38pm by fondantfrenzy

fondantfrenzy Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:50am
post #1 of 14

My hats off to all of you that actually do this for a living. I am making my friends(actually she is my daughter's godmother's sister) daughter's communion cake this saturday as a gift. She is having her daughter's communion with 3 other girls. Then my she said...oooh maybe you could make my friends..blah blah blah..and she threw in there how her cake had to be the cutest...I was like ok whatever. So then her friend calls me up and mind you this cake is only for like 12 people and its a round cake. She is telling me how she wants a round cake with a cross and roses all over the place and pastel with gold...and i am like pastel and gold? okaaaaaaaaaaay, I keep listening to her and then she proceeds to say and I want it to sayh Happy First Communion Rebecca Ann. I told her, you know your cake is not going to be that big and its not going to have enough room to have a cross, roses and all that writing...then she proceeds to say welllllll..you can write 1st instead of spelling out First. icon_mad.gif I was like are you friggen kidding me. After our conversation ended, i called my friend and i told her what happend and i said..now its going to take away from your daugheters cake, I dont want your daughter to think I made her cake better...and she goes..Oh my daughter is not like that..when earlier she slipped in Oh cuz i gotta have the cutest cake.

All i have to say...is i know you all deal with soooo much crap....and I admire you guys....i could never do it!

13 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:39am
post #2 of 14

LOL...the battle of the cakes!!!

I don't do it for a living either, but it's not too common to be making two cakes for two different people for the same event, so that competition between customers is probably pretty unusual.

There was a time when I made a cake for someone, and she had decided to combine the party with another child's party, so she made a cake for the little boy. Our two cakes were sitting side by side and her cake was decorated with oreos and pretzel sticks. So many people kept commenting on my cake and not on hers that she started to get upset. She had asked my family to stay for the party, but I told her I had a migraine and went home icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Wilton makes a stand-up silver cross with a couple of rhinestones on it...I bought it at Walmart on clearance for 50 cents and always joke with my husband that it's going on his birthday cake...anyhow, if you could find something like that, it would fit on the cake with the roses and the words.

Rylan Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:34am
post #3 of 14

Where did she get the idea from? Maybe she doesn't know the actual serving sizes and she is picturing a bigger cake in mind.

Pastel and gold will go if done the right way. I think it also depends on the design. Maybe use the pastel color as the details as well as the gold. I can picture it in my mind that it can be done nicely. Maybe the right shade of pink..or maybe blue? Maybe use the cross as a small detail? Also, If I were you I'd make the flowers white so it doesn't look too overpowering.

Good luck with that.

fondantfrenzy Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 14

Oh thanks for the tips, but i sent her a nice email explaining to her i would only be willing to do a chalice and host on the top. and that I was a hobbyist and was only doing this as a favor, and that since her design was so elaborate and specific, to go to a well known (expensive) cake decorating shop in the area. I mean she was tellng me she was going to have her daughter draw it up and then email it to me. What did she expect from a free cake gosh...some people!!!!! I am not an experienced cake decorating like that...i mean geez look at my cakes..i do better designing them on my own...not that my cakes are anything great..

fondantfrenzy Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 14

I am sooo happy, my cake ended up being the best cake out of the four communion cakes...ha ha ha ha ha...that lady...felt so stupid!!!! That was the best feeling ever!!! icon_confused.gif This is the cake I ended up making for my friends daughter

Mme_K Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:27am
post #6 of 14

Your cake is beautiful! No wonder it was the best of the four!

fondantfrenzy Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:33am
post #7 of 14

Thank you!!!! icon_smile.gif

luvsfreebies72 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 3:56am
post #8 of 14

great job!

sari66 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:11am
post #9 of 14

You did a wonderful job!

GeminiRJ Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 14

I took a look at your cakes....very, very nice work! I'd say you're a plenty experienced cake decorator! And I think the communion cake was stunning, so you need to revel in having made the nicest cake there.

fondantfrenzy Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you all!!! I think this is the best cake i have made so far!....however, the other cakes here and decorators..are tuff to even come close to!!!!! But with the help of all the great people here...i am getting better with each cake!!!

sugarcheryl Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 11:33pm
post #12 of 14

You did a wonderful job!!!!

Charmaine49 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:21am
post #13 of 14

From one friend to another, I also think you did a great job of this cake....just love the lace molds that you did and I am glad to see that your cake was the best out of them all, this gives you so much confidence to try a bit harder next time........congratulations!!

fondantfrenzy Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:38pm
post #14 of 14
Originally Posted by Charmaine49

From one friend to another, I also think you did a great job of this cake....just love the lace molds that you did and I am glad to see that your cake was the best out of them all, this gives you so much confidence to try a bit harder next time........congratulations!!

I think your bias cuz you are my friend..ha ha ha ha. You are such a great friend. Thanks for being my support, too bad you are soo far away!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%