Cake Dummies

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 10:30pm by DreamInCake11

madgeowens Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:21am
post #1 of 21

Ok if I don't stop baking cakes my family is going to kill me, so I think i should look into styrofoam cake dummies so I can still decorate and not upset the family, but the shipping is three times the cost of the dummies, anyone know where I can get them withoout breaking the bank? icon_cry.gif

20 replies
kricket Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:32am
post #2 of 21

http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/. Great selection. Fantastic prices. Low shipping costs.

SweetSweetCreations Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:43am
post #3 of 21

Ditto

madgeowens Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:46am
post #4 of 21

Its 6 times the item for shipping......I was there earlier today.

brincess_b Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:02am
post #5 of 21

if you have a local foam store, they could carve you something, dont know how the prices would work out. or even if you get off cuts, you could carve them yourself.
xx

PinkLisa Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:53am
post #6 of 21

I justed ordered for the first time from Dallas Foam. It seems that there is an optimal amount to order to get the lowest shipping fee per item. I ordered nine (three sets of three rounds) and only paid $12.50 for shipping on a $30 order. If you order less you still pay the $12.50 I beleive and the cost skyrockets when you order more. It made more sense for me to make two orders to save on the shipping.

Also, I see you are in PA. Here's a link to a store that sells foam for a good price. They are in York, PA. Don't know if you are close to there.

www.guildcraftfurniture.com/cake_dummies.html

Good luck!

deliciously_decadent Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:10am
post #7 of 21

i order in my dummies when i need lots for shows etc, but when i obly need a couple i make them, i can buy sheets of styro from a foam shop and them i cut them and sand them back myself, works great but is messy and time consuming thus the reason i order in big lots lol!

sambugjoebear Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 12:23pm
post #8 of 21

If you have a party supply/cake supply store nearby, you could ask them to order the dummies for you. That's what I do with my local party supply store. The prices are a little inflated obviously, but it's still better than dealing with shipping costs. I was able to order/purchase a 6" square, 10" square, 14" round dummy for $13.00.

xstitcher Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 21

If your not looking for huge sizes then try

http://www.plasteelcorp.com/foamshapes/category/cakes.html?gclid=CKHOvd3_jpoCFQKJxgodnmQf-Q

they have flat rate shipping that seems reasonable but the largest size they have is only 12".

HTH!

xstitcher Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:50pm
post #10 of 21

If your not looking for huge sizes then try

http://www.plasteelcorp.com/foamshapes/category/cakes.html?gclid=CKHOvd3_jpoCFQKJxgodnmQf-Q

they have flat rate shipping that seems reasonable but the largest size they have is only 12".

HTH!

madgeowens Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:23am
post #11 of 21

Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:36am
post #12 of 21

xstitcher thanks I ordered them and shipping was reasonable....hope I spelled that right lol time for bed...thanks so much

Elise87 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:42am
post #13 of 21

I don't have many excuses to make cakes these days but i do love designing them so to save baking a whole lot of cakes that people will prob not end up eating i went to my local store and bought some of the styrofoam cake dummies icon_biggrin.gif

The thing is i want to decorate them with fondant and try out my designs and then when i am finished will remove the fondant and reuse them. Question is what could i cover them in to put the fondant on to keep them clean for reusing next time?

xstitcher Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:42am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

xstitcher thanks I ordered them and shipping was reasonable....hope I spelled that right lol time for bed...thanks so much

Your welcome Madge. I have to order some myself but I'm going to wait until I move next month (one less thing to have to pack icon_lol.gif ).

Cynthia_Razo Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:02am
post #15 of 21

[quote="Elise87"]I don't have many excuses to make cakes these days but i do love designing them so to save baking a whole lot of cakes that people will prob not end up eating i went to my local store and bought some of the styrofoam cake dummies icon_biggrin.gif

The thing is i want to decorate them with fondant and try out my designs and then when i am finished will remove the fondant and reuse them. Question is what could i cover them in to put the fondant on to keep them clean for reusing next time?[/quote]

I've seen some people cover the cake dummy in saran wrap, then they simply peel it off once they're done. Haven't exactly tried that myself but will try once I get my cake dummies too. Hope that helps...

Bluehue Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:06am
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

The thing is i want to decorate them with fondant and try out my designs and then when i am finished will remove the fondant and reuse them. Question is what could i cover them in to put the fondant on to keep them clean for reusing next time?

Lay out a large length of glad wrap - place your dummie on that and then bring all the edges up - hold all the edges with one hand whilst you twist the dummie around and around with the other hand.
Makes the glad wrap cover the dummie without crinkles and creases.
Put a little bit of sticky tape on the *wound up bit* and then turn it over onto your bench - and there you have a tightly wrapped dummie....with smooth edges.

Then you can cover with fondant - decorate as you wish - then when you are ready to try another design - just lift the dummie up and unwind the glad wrap - voula - it all comes off and the polystyrene isn't marked or spoilt.
You can salvage what you want from the decorations as you know there will be be no *foam* in amongst it

Bluehue icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:08am
post #17 of 21

I've also read here on cc that if you put the dummy in hot water it will dissolve the fondant.

Elise87 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:25am
post #18 of 21

thanks alot for the advice icon_biggrin.gif Just to see i tried it once with a cling wrap but it wasn't very smooth n was crinkly but i don't think i was using a very good brand so i'll try get another brand n have another go

xstitcher Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:49am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

thanks alot for the advice icon_biggrin.gif Just to see i tried it once with a cling wrap but it wasn't very smooth n was crinkly but i don't think i was using a very good brand so i'll try get another brand n have another go

I've heard that a lot of folks have the same issue with getting the cling wrap smooth.....

brincess_b Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #20 of 21

you dont have to use wrap, you can just aply the fondant straight to the dummy. if you keep it ages it sets hard so it just breaks off, you can wipe down the dummies to get it clean again.
xx

DreamInCake11 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:30pm
post #21 of 21

Thanks for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%