Help Needed For 1St Wedding Cake

Decorating By millionairess Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 1:12pm by millionairess

millionairess Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:53am
post #1 of 10

I am making my first wedding cake & really need some advise. First of all the bride wants a fruit cake with fondant icing. She has a nut allergy so i cant use marzipan in between the cake n fondant. Ive read somewhere that fondant can go onto the cake without anything in between but im worried that the colour from the cake will bleed thru. So any advise on a substitute for marzipan wud be helpful.
Also she is Hindu, so no gelatine can be used in the fondant. Anyone has a fondant recipe without gelatine.
Any advise woud be really appreciated.

9 replies
patticakesnc Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:05am
post #2 of 10

MMF doesn't have gelatin (unless they use it to make marshmallows).

You can use something like an apricot preserve or glaze between the cake and fondant. I don't think the colors would bleed through if you do not put something on there but the fondant needs something to hold on to.

jennicita Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:11am
post #3 of 10

Normal marshmallows DO contain gelatin although I know vegetarian marshmallows (without gelatin) are available in the US. Don't know about Malaysia.

millionairess Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:20am
post #4 of 10

Thanks jennicita & patticakesnc.

I will try apricot jam for my practice cake & see how that fares. Yes, over here we dont get vegan marshmallows.

Hopefully someone has a fondant recipe w/out gelatine.

Thanks again!

lostincake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:51am
post #5 of 10

What about using modeling chocolate? I've seen them use this on Ace of Cakes to cover cakes and I don't think it has gelatin in it. And I think if you made it out of white chocolate, you could colour it as you would fondant. Just an idea...I've never used it myself.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

deliciously_decadent Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:15am
post #6 of 10

i have also heard of rolled RI if you can get it were you are? i think its european? just another idea thats just eggwhite and icing sugar

Evoir Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:33am
post #7 of 10

We frequently leave out the marzipan altogether in fruit cakes with rolled fondant. I have never had colour leaking through.

Check with your supplier for an ingredients list on the ready-to-roll fondant that you use where you are in order to find a gelatin-free product. I use Pettinice RTR and it only contains vegeatable gum, not gelatine.

jennicita Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:49am
post #8 of 10

I just checked my Debbie Brown book (Enchanted Cakes) and found a recipe without gelatin. I've never tried it but the book says that it's "firm but pliable - it smooths well and keeps it shape when drying".

Here's the recipe:

Makes 625g (1 1/4 lb)
- 1 egg white made up from dried egg albumen
- 30ml (2tbsp) liquid glucose
- 625g (1 1/4 lb/5 cups) icing sugar
- A little white vegetable fat (shortening) if required

1. Put the egg white and liquid glucose into a bowl, using a warm spoon for the liquid glucose.
2. Sift the icing sugar into the bowl, adding a little at a time and stirring until the mixture thickens.
3. Turn out onto a work surface dusted with icing sugar and knead the paste until it is soft, smooth and pliable. If the paste is dry and cracked, fold in a little vegetable fat (shortening) and knead again.
4. Put into a polythene bag, or double wrap the paste in cling film (plastic wrap) and store in an airtight container.

Hope that helps!

Ariginal Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:02am
post #9 of 10

if needed with that i just put on two layers of fondant

millionairess Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much everyone for the wonderful ideas.
Thanks jennicita for that recipe, will definately try it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%