Help Needed For 1St Wedding Cake

Decorating By millionairess Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 1:12pm by millionairess

millionairess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millionairess Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:53am
post #1 of 10

I am making my first wedding cake & really need some advise. First of all the bride wants a fruit cake with fondant icing. She has a nut allergy so i cant use marzipan in between the cake n fondant. Ive read somewhere that fondant can go onto the cake without anything in between but im worried that the colour from the cake will bleed thru. So any advise on a substitute for marzipan wud be helpful.
Also she is Hindu, so no gelatine can be used in the fondant. Anyone has a fondant recipe without gelatine.
Any advise woud be really appreciated.
Thanks

9 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:05am
post #2 of 10

MMF doesn't have gelatin (unless they use it to make marshmallows).

You can use something like an apricot preserve or glaze between the cake and fondant. I don't think the colors would bleed through if you do not put something on there but the fondant needs something to hold on to.

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:11am
post #3 of 10

Normal marshmallows DO contain gelatin although I know vegetarian marshmallows (without gelatin) are available in the US. Don't know about Malaysia.

millionairess Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:20am
post #4 of 10

Thanks jennicita & patticakesnc.

I will try apricot jam for my practice cake & see how that fares. Yes, over here we dont get vegan marshmallows.

Hopefully someone has a fondant recipe w/out gelatine.

Thanks again!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:51am
post #5 of 10

What about using modeling chocolate? I've seen them use this on Ace of Cakes to cover cakes and I don't think it has gelatin in it. And I think if you made it out of white chocolate, you could colour it as you would fondant. Just an idea...I've never used it myself.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:15am
post #6 of 10

i have also heard of rolled RI if you can get it were you are? i think its european? just another idea thats just eggwhite and icing sugar

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:33am
post #7 of 10

We frequently leave out the marzipan altogether in fruit cakes with rolled fondant. I have never had colour leaking through.

Check with your supplier for an ingredients list on the ready-to-roll fondant that you use where you are in order to find a gelatin-free product. I use Pettinice RTR and it only contains vegeatable gum, not gelatine.

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:49am
post #8 of 10

I just checked my Debbie Brown book (Enchanted Cakes) and found a recipe without gelatin. I've never tried it but the book says that it's "firm but pliable - it smooths well and keeps it shape when drying".

Here's the recipe:

Makes 625g (1 1/4 lb)
- 1 egg white made up from dried egg albumen
- 30ml (2tbsp) liquid glucose
- 625g (1 1/4 lb/5 cups) icing sugar
- A little white vegetable fat (shortening) if required

1. Put the egg white and liquid glucose into a bowl, using a warm spoon for the liquid glucose.
2. Sift the icing sugar into the bowl, adding a little at a time and stirring until the mixture thickens.
3. Turn out onto a work surface dusted with icing sugar and knead the paste until it is soft, smooth and pliable. If the paste is dry and cracked, fold in a little vegetable fat (shortening) and knead again.
4. Put into a polythene bag, or double wrap the paste in cling film (plastic wrap) and store in an airtight container.

Hope that helps!

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:02am
post #9 of 10

if needed with that i just put on two layers of fondant

millionairess Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much everyone for the wonderful ideas.
Thanks jennicita for that recipe, will definately try it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%