Help! The Top Layer Slid Off, Any Suggestions How To Fix?

Decorating By luv2cook721 Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 1:28pm by Justbeck101

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:58am
post #1 of 21

The top layer of my 2 layer 12'' cake slid off while I had it tilted while decorating. There is filling everywhere! I need to salvage this! HELP!

20 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:14am
post #2 of 21

you mean it slid off, and the filling is now on the outside coating of the cake? in which case, im afraid it sounds like you will have to start all over again!
xx

luv2cook721 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 21

Yeah, it slid off. Actually though, after I posted I sat on a stool and stared at the cake and an idea came to me. I straightened it out the best I could. scraped away the filling and some of the messed up icing. took out a xtra large rose tip and piped ruffles all the way around to cover up the sides. It ain't perfect, but it will work. It is a cake to take to the monthly b-day party at work.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 21

Aaahhhhhhh yes, the mother of invention icon_smile.gif Nice save.

luv2cook721 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:34am
post #5 of 21

reading my OP it sounds like the top layer slid all the way off, which is not the case. It slid a few inches, which was still a royal mess, but probably not nearly as bad as if the whole layer had gone. Here is a pic of the slide and the recovery.
LL
LL

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 7:54am
post #6 of 21

thanks for coming back with pictures. and... wow! amazing save, the final cake looks brilliant!
xx

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 8:51am
post #7 of 21

Nothing wrong with that cake,you did a good job,well done.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 21

I like the "after" better. icon_biggrin.gif

queenie1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenie1958 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #9 of 21

Looks good to me. Great save, thumbs_up.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:43pm
post #10 of 21

When I saw the photo filename was 'slipper_cake_006', I thought you named it because of the mishap but instead it was named for the ballet slippers!! LOL

Great save by the way...awesome thinking on your part!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

When I saw the photo filename was 'slipper_cake_006', I thought you named it because of the mishap but instead it was named for the ballet slippers!! LOL

EXACTLY I thought the same.

lalaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalaine Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm
post #12 of 21

it looks so much better with the ruffles than without! sometimes a setback can bring out the creativity in people. if the slide hadnt occurred, you might not have used the ruffle, and it looks perfect!

luv2cook721 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:19pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaine

it looks so much better with the ruffles than without! sometimes a setback can bring out the creativity in people. if the slide hadnt occurred, you might not have used the ruffle, and it looks perfect!

I definitely wouldn't have gone with the ruffle, I was thinking swags. I am sure they wouldn't have looked as nice. The ruffle gives it more of a "platform" look which is what I really wanted anyway. Next time the shoes will be smaller though, I think they are too big.

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:32pm
post #14 of 21

Nice save!!!

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:22am
post #15 of 21

What a way to save your cake! It looks fantastic! I usually add a couple of drinking straws to my cakes so that the layers wont slide so easily, especially if your filling is soft.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:40am
post #16 of 21

Incredible save. You would never know anything was wrong with that cake. It looks perfect, and just like it was always meant to have those perfect little girly ruffles.

I see what you say about the platform, but to me it makes me think of a little ballerina's skirt.

I would have expected this for a little girl's birthday, so I'm kind of curious how you ended up doing it for work. Do you just practice any technique you are wanting to work on?

luv2cook721 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:39am
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiET

What a way to save your cake! It looks fantastic! I usually add a couple of drinking straws to my cakes so that the layers wont slide so easily, especially if your filling is soft.

Thanks for the tip, I think the soft filling was the problem. It oozed out when the cake was cut too so as filling goes it was pretty loose. BTW love the dancing snoopy avitar!!! thumbs_up.gif

bizatchgirl Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:49am
post #18 of 21

I can't remember, did someone ask if you used a dam? 100% of the time if I don't use a dam, my cake will slide.

I tried like a month ago not to use a dam because I didn't want to make BC just for the dam. 5 minutes from my house the cake was destroyed.

Tasted awesome though!

luv2cook721 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:56am
post #19 of 21

No, no one asked, but yes, I did use a dam. I think that was all ok. The slippers probably made the top extra heavy and the angle did the rest. Just hope I can avoid recreating the same circumstances.

bizatchgirl Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:05am
post #20 of 21

I'd bet you're right then. Did you support the slippers at all? Maybe that would be the way to go next time. If you didn't, that is.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:28pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

EXACTLY I thought the same.

Me too!!!!! hahahahahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%