? About Crusting Cream Cheese Icing

Decorating By ShortcakesSweets Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 5:58am by ShortcakesSweets

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:49am
post #1 of 12

Does Wilton paste colors thin Crusting Cream Cheese Icing too much, or has anyone tried it?

11 replies
clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:19am
post #2 of 12

I"ve never had a problem with my cream cheese recipe. It's a thinner, softer (yummier!) frosting but it crusts well and I use it all the time almost exactly the same as I would buttercream - colors and all.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:34am
post #3 of 12

I would think it would depend on what color you are using? Of course the darker colors yes. But if it does you could just add extra powdered sugar to compensate for it.

ShortcakesSweets Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 12

OK. The times I've used it, when I didn't add color it stiffens/crusts beautifully. I colored some crimson for a groom's cake and had a lot of problems with the consistency after that.
Thanks!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 12

shortcakesweets.. what is your recipe for crusting cream cheese icing. i have used earlene moores.. i do like that.. would like your recipe also, if you don,t mind.. tia

ShortcakesSweets Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:01am
post #6 of 12

Icer101,
Here's the recipe I use:

1 cup Butter, softened
1/2 cup solid Vegetable Shortening
1 pound Cream Cheese, softened
1 T. Clear Vanilla Extract
3 1/2 lbs. sifted Confectioners' Sugar
1/2 t. Salt

Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extract. Gradually add confectioners' sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:25am
post #7 of 12

thank you shortcakessweets... i just got back on c/c and looked this up.the recipe looks really tasty.. i will try this. thanks again

ShortcakesSweets Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 12

You're welcome.....not a problem. Hope you enjoy it. icon_biggrin.gif

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 12

Not to get off topic but does this crust enough for the "viva" method? I like to do this but would soooo rather use a cream cheese icing.

Harleyfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harleyfan Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 12

Hi ShortcakesSweets:

Your cream cheese icing sounds yummy! This may sound silly, but would this go well with red velvet cake? I've read several times that cream cheese icing works well with red velvet, but I wasn't sure if there was a particular type or not that works better than another. I've made red velvet before and used an icing that worked, but I want to try something different. Anyway, since it's your recipe, I'd love to know your opinion.

Thanks so much!
~Harleyfan

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 12

I've never had any problems with color thinning my cream cheese buttercream icing. I've used light and dark colors and no problems......yet. icon_lol.gif

ShortcakesSweets Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:58am
post #12 of 12

Harleyfan,
Yes, it is awesome with Red Velvet Cake. I get LOTS of requests for this. Just last week I made Red Velvet Cupcakes iced with the Crusting Cream Cheese and topped with chopped nuts.

Stephi1,
It does crust enough for that method, but I normally use Waxed or Parchment Paper with the same results (haven't personally used Viva paper towels).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%