Crumb Coating

Decorating By Kerry_Kake Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 1:24pm by Kerry_Kake

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:48am
post #1 of 7

Alright, this might sound stupid. When crumb coating a cake that I am going to use colored frosting on, do I use the colored frosting for the crumb coat or can I use white?
I'm so used to crumb coating my cakes with white and then putting fondant on them. But I am doing a buttercream cake this time and it will be blue. But I started crumb coating in white and then it hit me icon_confused.gif I already did it in white, will this be ok? It's in the freezer and I will put the final coat on tomorrow. icon_redface.gif

6 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:35am
post #2 of 7

Oh hey my fellow friend from youtube.

I haven't done it but if you wanted to be sure that nothing with smudge in, I'd rather use the colored one. But I don't really think it will if you completely let the crumbcoat settle.

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:43am
post #3 of 7

You can do it in white, no problem at all. In fact, as Edna says "you should not play with your crumb coat", so there shouldn't be a problem as you won't be mixing the icing from your crumbcoat and the final coat. You should chill the crumbcoated cake for the crumbcoat to set.

Kerry_Kake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 7

Oh hey RylanTy! Cake Central is the best, isn't it?!

Thank you for your responses. I do think I'll be ok because it is set very well. But I was just wondering what everyone else usually does!

Oh, and yes Edna does say that but I wonder what she does when she's doing a colored cake icon_rolleyes.gif

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 7

I have done colored buttercream with a white crumb coat and the only difference is that when you cut it the white crumb coat shows in the cut pieces.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 7

I've had the same thing happen with the white crumb coat showing underneath the colored icing when slicing. Was kind of cool, actually. icon_biggrin.gif

Kerry_Kake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by srodts

I have done colored buttercream with a white crumb coat and the only difference is that when you cut it the white crumb coat shows in the cut pieces.

Yeah, I have thought of that too. Oh well, I already crumb coated it in white. Next time I'll do it with the same color. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%