Crumb Coating

Decorating By Kerry_Kake Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 1:24pm by Kerry_Kake

Kerry_Kake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:48am
post #1 of 7

Alright, this might sound stupid. When crumb coating a cake that I am going to use colored frosting on, do I use the colored frosting for the crumb coat or can I use white?
I'm so used to crumb coating my cakes with white and then putting fondant on them. But I am doing a buttercream cake this time and it will be blue. But I started crumb coating in white and then it hit me icon_confused.gif I already did it in white, will this be ok? It's in the freezer and I will put the final coat on tomorrow. icon_redface.gif

6 replies
Rylan Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:35am
post #2 of 7

Oh hey my fellow friend from youtube.

I haven't done it but if you wanted to be sure that nothing with smudge in, I'd rather use the colored one. But I don't really think it will if you completely let the crumbcoat settle.

ngfcake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:43am
post #3 of 7

You can do it in white, no problem at all. In fact, as Edna says "you should not play with your crumb coat", so there shouldn't be a problem as you won't be mixing the icing from your crumbcoat and the final coat. You should chill the crumbcoated cake for the crumbcoat to set.

Kerry_Kake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 7

Oh hey RylanTy! Cake Central is the best, isn't it?!

Thank you for your responses. I do think I'll be ok because it is set very well. But I was just wondering what everyone else usually does!

Oh, and yes Edna does say that but I wonder what she does when she's doing a colored cake icon_rolleyes.gif

srodts Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 7

I have done colored buttercream with a white crumb coat and the only difference is that when you cut it the white crumb coat shows in the cut pieces.

crisseyann Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 7

I've had the same thing happen with the white crumb coat showing underneath the colored icing when slicing. Was kind of cool, actually. icon_biggrin.gif

Kerry_Kake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by srodts

I have done colored buttercream with a white crumb coat and the only difference is that when you cut it the white crumb coat shows in the cut pieces.

Yeah, I have thought of that too. Oh well, I already crumb coated it in white. Next time I'll do it with the same color. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%