How Long Will Red Fondant Keep?

Decorating By laur1220 Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 1:24am by CakeMommy3

laur1220 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 5

hey everyone!

another fondant question... i've read about how fondant will keep for quite a few days but i'm wondering if i color it red (wilton no taste red) when i make it, then leave it for about 5 days wrapped in plastic wrap before decorating with it, will the color eventually change my fondant in taste or texture and will the color eventually start fading?

thanks so much in advance!!!

4 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 5

good question, I'd like to know too

CakeMommy3 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 5

Are you making the fondant or buying it? Once you add enough of that color to make it red, it's going to taste like crap, even if it didn't before. It does change the texture, because you have to add a lot. The color will not fade when you have it wrapped in the plastic. I made red MMF with the wilton no taste about three months ago, and I still have it (for practice, not for eating) and it's still really red. It's better if you make the fondant yourself and add the red color to your melted mixture before you add the sugar, because then you can adjust the sugar for the consistency to be correct. Michele Foster fondant is the best one to make, IMO. I think you can even keep that one on the counter well wrapped for a month. Also, Americolor red is better, because you don't have to add as much to get that nice red color. I hope that all made sense. Good luck!

laur1220 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 5

thanks so much! i do make the mmf, because i am scared to death to even try store bought based on the reviews! haha this definately puts my mind at ease when doing my next cake

also, where do you purchase the americolor? can it be bought at michaels or do you have to order it online?

CakeMommy3 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 5

I have a cake supply store near me that sells it. It's not a craft store item, so you would have to order it online if you don't have any specialty stores near you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%