Can You Help Me Save My Cake? Please?

Decorating By flamingogrlz Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 5:20pm by flamingogrlz

flamingogrlz Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 9

I am making my first 3-D cake a fondant covered taxi cab and I would like to put it on a sheet cake that has butter cream frosting. I am worried that the fondant would pick up the moisture from the buttercream. Would it be best to put the cab on a piece of cardboard? Should the cardboard be wrapped in plastic wrap? After all the work that went into making this cartoon cab it would be such a shame to watch it melt into a buttercream lake! Thanks!

8 replies
MACakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 9

From what I have read on other posts, you should put a cake board under the top layer and use dowels to support it. There are many threads on the forum that can explain it better than I. Good luck with it. icon_wink.gif

paulstonia Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 9

Buttercream should not affect your fondant, after all you cover the cake in buttercream before you put the fondant on it.You should have a cake board under the cab cake before you set it on your sheet cake and supports in the sheet cake so the cab doesn't sink into the cake. HTH

flamingogrlz Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 9

Yes, I just KNEW dowels were going to be involved! LOL I was just worrying about how careful I need to be with the BC getting near my cute fondant taxi. Sigh, ok, back to being a good baker, dowels, cake board, and plastic wrap in hand. I would rather cover the sheet cake in fondant too but the person I am making it for is afraid that fondant tastes YUCKY! Thanks for your response.
Pam

kandu001 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:01am
post #5 of 9

You definitely need to put it on cardboard and hold it up with dowels! The buttercream won't have any effect on the fondant though, as there is buttercream under fondant to hold it on the cake anyway. Just make sure you use support!! Oh, and you don't need to wrap the board in anything...it will be just fine as it is.

flamingogrlz Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for all your help! The cake is down and turned out cute!
Pam

kandu001 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 9

Can't wait to see the photo!!

DelectabilityCakes Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 9

Ditto

flamingogrlz Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 9

Oh dear, I didn't think about SHOWING this to you all! I am NO where near good enough for that, Well you where kind enough to help me out in my hour of need so here goes nothing..http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1353792.html that is the taxi cake it was still in progress when the pictures where taken. I should send you the link to my first tired cake it is so much nicer! LOL Thanks again!
I am off to hide in a corner now
Pam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%