Quick ! Help Please

Decorating By CNCS Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 12:56pm by CNCS

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 11

my red icing is hot pink not deep red like I need.

I used super red and its only hot pink.

I have used the search option here it is no help only gives me links to red velvet cake.

10 replies
underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 11

do a search using these words "need and deep and red". Several forum discussion come up discussing deep red, including Elmo red. Hope you get it, Good luck!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 11

Could you add more color without messing up the consistency? Do you have time to let it sit for a couple hours? The color deepens as it sits. Good luck!

jewlsjahl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewlsjahl Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 11

The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. My icing ended up tasting like crap because of all the dye I added. I asked a question on here and I was told the Americolor was the best for deep colors, but I didn't have time to order it online. I was also told that if you let the icing rest overnight the color will get darker...didn't have time for that either.

The next time I made red I added the color before adding the powdered sugar when making my icing. When I added the sugar, the icing stayed very red and tasty. Hope this helps. I'm a total newbie and was just experimenting.

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 11

You need to use a LOT of red to actually get red. Not just a little bit. When I make red, I use almost 1/2 oz of the gel coloring. Keep it mind, it will get deeper if it sets overnight.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 11

I've added red KoolAid to it.... it was the only way I could get the red I wanted, without adding a whole jar of No Taste Red.....
it worked.... gave it a nice cherry flavour, too!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 11

Do you have an airbrush,that might be better,you'll get the red without the weird taste.

bakeyclacker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeyclacker Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 11

I had this same drama in December. It turned out well, but it took 5 or so batches of fondant! I couldn't believe how much red it takes. Honestly, I'd go out right now, and buy the nasty tasting wilton red fondnat (that you get in the primary colors pack) and use that to blend into your 'redest' you can get. Or I'd airbrush it. That would be so much easier than what I did, which was add a ton of red-red coloring to a titch of burgandy (hardly any in comparison) and it finally developed. I've also been told about 'sponging' where you use a sponge to paint on the red dye, making for a kinda tuscan look. If you do start over, make sure to add half of the bottle of wilton no taste red (or whatever gel color) to your liquid state of fondant, and then you don't have to do so much kneading! Good luck! Feel free to PM me -- becky

CNCS Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun

do a search using these words "need and deep and red". Several forum discussion come up discussing deep red, including Elmo red. Hope you get it, Good luck!

Its not giving me the same results as you.

You have a link to the elmo red?

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:04am
post #10 of 11

This is one of the links I came across:

www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-619603-red.html+deep

I don't think it's any different than what everyone else has suggested. Good luck!

CNCS Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:56pm
post #11 of 11

OK I got it to go red. FINALLY.
I used 1 bottle of super red and 1/4 bottle orange and yellow.
Then some holiday red.

Its a nice red red now.

I could not remember how to do the steps for a red its yellow, orange and then red.

I'll have to wirte it down now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%