I'm In Love....with Glaze!

Decorating By tonimarie Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 4:14pm by neelycharmed

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 24

I just got through painting some fondant figures with pearl glaze.......OMGoodness, I can't believe how much better they look with glaze-so shiny and beautiful. I just had to share, I wish I had tried it before now, but from here on out it may be my favorite "accessory" to fondant icon_wink.gif

23 replies
Marmette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marmette Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 24

do you mean the luster dust or you mean the confectioners glaze.

tonimarie Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 24

actually it's neither, I bought it from www.fondantsource.com . it's a food grade edible glaze. It came in a 20 gram jar (very small-like a jar of icing coloring) You just open the jar and paint it on-I like that it's premixed! I have used luster dust before, but this just makes everything shiny-like it's been spray painted with a clear coating!

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 24

Take pics soon, I want to see!

tonimarie Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 24

I just took before pictures of the puppies, and will paint them and take an after shot tomorrow morning, then I'll post it here. I already glazed the rest of the stuff, so there isn't a before to compare it to icon_smile.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #6 of 24

There is a recipe on cc for edible varnish. Would that give the same results?

tonimarie Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:02am
post #7 of 24

okay here are the before and pics of the dogs I did.
LL

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:21am
post #8 of 24

Dogs are adorable and the glaze looks great! I'll have to order some of the glaze. Hope it's not too expensive. Great dogs!

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:36am
post #9 of 24

Your puppies are adorable! I love the glaze. And I agree - I think it's great that it's premixed! icon_biggrin.gif

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:42am
post #10 of 24

Love your puppies.....so where did you get it, and how much was it?
Thanks
Diane

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:50am
post #11 of 24

I need to get that glaze ,it is perfect.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:07am
post #12 of 24

Thanks for sharing! You did a great job!

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:21am
post #13 of 24

Checked on www.fondantsource.com and couldn't find it.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:33pm
post #14 of 24

tonimarie,

Thanks for the info. I put edible glaze before and that's why it didn't show up.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm
post #15 of 24

You guys, you can make your own with 50/50 light corn syrup and either vodka or lemon ext. Mix it up and use a paint brush to apply to your gumpaste or fondant pieces.

In my pics there is a before and after of a St. Paddy's hat (the pic of just the hat was not glazed yet, the pic of the completed 2 tier cake is after I painted it with the glaze) It dries to the touch in about 10 minutes and it's super shiny and easy to make.

tonimarie Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:27am
post #16 of 24

thanks dkelly! love to make things instead of buying them. did you paint the entire hat? It looks like it-wow sooo shiny very nice. If you use lemon ext. does it taste like lemon or does it evaporate?
toni

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:38am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

You guys, you can make your own with 50/50 light corn syrup and either vodka or lemon ext. Mix it up and use a paint brush to apply to your gumpaste or fondant pieces.

In my pics there is a before and after of a St. Paddy's hat (the pic of just the hat was not glazed yet, the pic of the completed 2 tier cake is after I painted it with the glaze) It dries to the touch in about 10 minutes and it's super shiny and easy to make.

thanks for the tip!!! gotta try this! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:16pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimarie

thanks dkelly! love to make things instead of buying them. did you paint the entire hat? It looks like it-wow sooo shiny very nice. If you use lemon ext. does it taste like lemon or does it evaporate?
toni

Yes I painted the whole hat, that was styro underneath, the Mom wanted to save the piece for his room.

Once the glaze dries it doesn't taste like anything really.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm
post #19 of 24

Wow, awesome info, thank you all!!!

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:34pm
post #20 of 24

Awesome info! And those puppies are really cute!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #21 of 24

I love the stuff. You know you can color the fondant glaze with gel colors. It doesn't take much so just add a little from the tip of a toothpick. I used fondant glaze on the dark blue border on my tiered star cake. I recently got the lady that owns our local cake store to start carrying the glaze. She does charge double of what www.fondantsource.com charges so I try to stock up when I order online. The glaze is inexpensive at 2.49 a jar. They also sell silver and gold. You need to wait at least thirty minutes between coats.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:07pm
post #22 of 24

You can make your own but you won't get the pearl effect. Pearl glaze has a shimmer or sparkle not just a shiny surface. So far the only color I wasn't happy with was trying to make a black shimmer but I love all the other colors.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:57pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

Quick question---when you do the 50/50 corn syrup/vodka---does it dry eventually and stays shiny??

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:14pm
post #24 of 24

icon_smile.gif thanks for the tips !!
Going to try the 50/50 mix icon_smile.gif
Jodi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%