Fondant Decorations -- How Far Ahead Can I Do Them?

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 9:43pm by blondeez

lvspaisley Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing some cupcakes for a baby shower on Sunday and 27 of the 72 will have fondant decorations. One part will be white, cut out with a crinkled biscuit cutter. The part I will be attaching to that will be fondant as well, of a different color, and I'd like to make these tonight. Here's my question: will putting them out on a cookie sheet be okay or will they get dry and crack? Should I cover the cookie sheet with plastic? I don't want them to be hard as bricks since some people don't take the fondant decorations off.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am attaching a picture of the ones I did a month ago...they will be just like these, only different colors.

Thanks!
LL

3 replies
bashini Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 4

Hi, I haven't made the fondant accents days before. I just make them at the time of decorating the cake. If I'm doing these, I would leave them on a cookie sheet and let them dry and it won't go that hard at all. But you might have to make a few spare ones incase one or two breaks. icon_smile.gif

shelbur10 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 4

If you don't want them to harden, cover with plastic and they will be fine - but they may not firm up enough to stand up. If you leave them uncovered, they will get hard, but shouldn't crack, they should still look fine.

blondeez Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 4

You can make them days in advance but they will get hard and depending on the colors you use they will fade if not covered.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%