Dulce De Leche Filling..what Does It Taste Like?

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 23 May 2009 , 8:18pm by tonimarie

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #31 of 53

Another question...do you think if i added this to my buttercream and whipped them together it would hold up and not separate?

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:34am
post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Another question...do you think if i added this to my buttercream and whipped them together it would hold up and not separate?

Yup. Sometimes I do this when I don't have enough dulce de leche to fill a cake. The proportions can change depending on how much DDL I have to begin with but generally I'd say I mix about 50% DDL to frosting. I use an all butter mousseline and it holds up well.

I make DDL using the "boiling the canned condensed milk" method. I like it thick and dark. At this stage it's usually too stiff to spread so i thin it out with either the mousseline, with whipped cream or with ganache. The ganache is by far the yummiest and most sinful. Yum yum

sweetcravings Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:56am
post #33 of 53

Well, I filled my most recent cake with this and it was an ABSOLUTE hit! EVeryone was gushing over how goooood it was. I personally prefer to eat it by the spoon ;0) The vanilla cake just soaked up all the yummy goodness and it made it incredibly moist. Love this dulce...definitely a keeper.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:52pm
post #34 of 53

DDL and almost any BC miz incredibly well...I use my fav. BETTERCREME and oh boy! is that good! Never seperates and tastes wonderful. Pure DDL is a bit too thick for my liking so it is much better to lighten it up with some BC.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:41pm
post #35 of 53

About six months ago I read about this technique in Gale Gand's cookbook. I made three cans (same pan) and let them simmer for 3 hours per her instructions. When I opened the can, the milk was slightly thicker than normal but a very very light tan color...not the caramel color I expected. Any thoughts about that? Also, after doing that, I canned what I didn't need. Any ideas how long it will last that way?

sweetcravings Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:04pm
post #36 of 53

The longer you cook it, the darker and thicker it will get. The first time i made it, boiling it in a pot method i stood the cans upright and they were covered just slightly with water, light caramel color and that was three hours of cooking. The second time i layed the cans on their sides, and covered them very generously with water, as high as i could get the water without it spilling out of the pot. Occassionally rolling them around during the three hour cooking. That time the dulce was much darker and thicker.
If you have already opened the cans and you want it darker i would use some of the other methods used for cooking discussed in this thread..microwave, double boiler etc.. to get it where you need it. I would think this would be good for some time. This is what i found online...

Opened canned milk should be immediately transferred to a clean glass or plastic container, covered and stored in the refrigerator. It should be used within 3 weeks of opening. If you dont consume the opened milk during these weeks, it is possible to freeze it (the earlier the better). The storage time of frozen milk at 18 °C amounts approximately 3 months. For reusing defrost milk in the refrigerator over night. If it contains a lot of fat, it is important when defrosted to give it a good shake to remix the fatty and watery parts.

For further information you should contact the manufacturer.

HTH

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:10pm
post #37 of 53

Any idea how long it will keep in the can unopened once it is cooked?

CourtneysSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysSweets Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:43am
post #38 of 53

thinking about trying the microwave method, thanks!

Monkess Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:12pm
post #39 of 53

Unopened in the fridge you should be good for atleast 4-6 months.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:45pm
post #40 of 53

CourtnChris, the microwave method WORKS! icon_smile.gif

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #41 of 53

I am on my way to the store right after work and going home to try the microwave and boiling method. Mmmm. I'm eating my rabbit (diet) food right now and my mouth and tummy are growling at me. (not to mention the drool going down my face....)

}i{

dulceleche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulceleche Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #42 of 53

Hi Ladies!! I just saw this post! Guess where I got my nick??
Dulce de leche is close to caramel in tasting... It is a milk based spread and it is a MUST in every cake in ARGENTINA (my home country).
It comes in two formats: regular and REPOSTERO (for decorators) which is a firmer version that is thick and perfect for filling as a cake and piping. I wouldn't bother making it myself with the condensed milk or any other recipe. I suggest you go to a latin store that has argentinian products. Sometimes they carry the REPOSTERO type. It's about $5 a pound. If not, the regular one is ok.
To me, the one that taste the best are the ones manufactured in Argentina, but you will see others coming from Chile, Uruguay...
In cakes we use it with flaky fillo dough, meringues, mixed with whipped cream, mixed with cocoa, praline, nuts, almonds... you name it! It is very sweet.
It will be ok a couple of days out of the fridge in not so hot weather.
Please let me know if you have more questions, I was raised eating dulcedeleche!!!!

sweetcravings Posted 11 May 2009 , 7:14pm
post #43 of 53

dulce....pls tell me more about using it with phyllo dough...this sounds like a great idea.

dulceleche Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #44 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

dulce....pls tell me more about using it with phyllo dough...this sounds like a great idea.

Ok... I'll try to make it short.
Rogel or "mil hojas" (thousand layers) is a traditional argentinian dessert. It has a flaky dough called hojaldre with many layers of dulce de leche... sweeeeeet It looks like this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35688656@N00/306935403
Some people prepare the rogel 1" thick and put it as a layer filler in a cake. You have to be careful not to put too much syrup on your cake or you'll loose the flakiness.
I said filo dough because it is a good substitute or also empanada dough rolled very thin. The dough is baked first and then layered with dulce de leche (once it is cold)
THe real hojaldre dough is a type of pastry dough that it is rolled many times and folded adding butter in each fold (hard work).
I hope I was clear. Please ask if I was not!

sweetcravings Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:56pm
post #45 of 53

Dulce..thanks so much for the instructions and pic...it looks so good. I'm definitley going to try this the next time i have to make a special desert.

Monkess Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:40am
post #46 of 53

THAT cake looks scrumptious..thanks for posting! It looks like a cross between a bakhlava and cake....ummmmm. So dulche...have I understood this correct- you make the layers and then when it is about 1" thick you but it inbetween 2 layers of cake as a filling? (The photo looks like the entire thing is a pie and there is no cake to be seen, hence the confusion!) Thanks!

dulceleche Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:20pm
post #47 of 53

The photo is the rogel dessert in itself (by the way the white frosting that goes on top is meringue that is put some minutes in the oven to crust and cook).
Some people incorporate this dessert in between layers of cakes. So you can make it 1" to 2" thick and put it in between layers. Just be careful not to put too much syrup on your cake or will soak the flaky layers and they won't be flaky anymore. icon_smile.gif

I am going to try to find the recipe and translate it into English.

dulceleche Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:19pm
post #48 of 53

Ok, I found this blog that has pictures of how the rogel dessert is done. You can skip doing the dough by either using filo dough or "empanada" dough rolled thiner (you can buy this at a latin grocery store).
Ask me if you need more clarification

http://todopasteleria.blogspot.com/2007/11/rogel-tradicional.html

The white icing is italian swiss meringue

Monkess Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:34pm
post #49 of 53

Thanks Dulche...looks easy enough, the layers look more like crisp breads than phyllo but I think the phyllo might end up tasting alot better especially in the middle of the cake. Can't wait to try~!

dulceleche Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:06pm
post #50 of 53

Yes, I like the layers thin and flaky, so filo is better... specially if you are going to put it in between a cake

Enjoy!

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 23 May 2009 , 5:30pm
post #51 of 53

I tried the microwave method, work very well. Tried it once regular and once with cocoa powder mixed in for a chocolate variation. The longer I cooked it the thicker it got...my question is does that happen when you boil the entire can??? My husband (my top taste tester!) thinks it would be better if it were thinnier so it would seep into the cake layers instead of sitting on top......just wondering what you all think icon_confused.gif

sweetcravings Posted 23 May 2009 , 8:07pm
post #52 of 53

tonimarie,...the longer you cook it the thicker it does get with the boiling can method too..so, if you are looking for it to be thinner just cook it less. Of course, then it will be lighter in color. I made a cake with dulce filling, cooked for three hours the boiled method and layered it between my cake. The next day when we served it the dulce had completely soaked into the vanilla cake. I was surprized because it was thick when I first spreaded it on.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 23 May 2009 , 8:18pm
post #53 of 53

sweetcravings-thank you. We actually ate the cake the same day as I made it, next time we'll wait a day for the dulce to sink in icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%