They Ordered A Wally World Wedding Cake...

Decorating By Getus Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm by jlynnw

Getus Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 26

Our niece is getting married in June. We will have to travel about 6 hrs to go to the wedding/reception. No problem....we're going down over Memorial weekend for a visit, then again 3 wks later for the wedding.
I offered to make her cake...they didn't want me to have to travel with the cake and supplies and worry about it. I explained that I would bake and freeze the cake(s)...travel with them, then decorate and assemble once we got there...no problem.
Now, I realize I have no cakes posted here, as I am clueless as to how to do it...but please trust me...I am very capable of making a very pretty wedding cake. I am a perfectionist, and am not satisfied until my cakes look very nice.
I found out today that they went and ordered a cake from the local Wally World. icon_sad.gif
I realize they all live where Wally World was born and still dominates as biggest local employer...including the bride, the bride's brother (our nephew)....but I would have thought they would have loved a cake made from someone who loves them dearly, and would want her cake to be yummy as well as one of a kind in appearance. I never dreamed they'd prefer a limited looking wally world cake for her big day. icon_cry.gif
I realize it's her wedding, but I just know what her cake could be...and what it will probably end up being...

25 replies
cylstrial Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 26

That is ridiculous! What is the bride thinking??? I'm sorry that you aren't getting to make the cake. That has to be disappointing!

kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 26

Oh, so sorry they did that to you.
Since their life is so saturated w/WM I can see why that's what they would order.
I know it hurts but maybe they are not aware of how much you would have liked to do it and that it would not have been that much of a problem. Remember 'ordinary citizens' don't understand our way of thinking things out.

bbmom Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 26

If the family works there and the company has been good to them, then I can understand, maybe she got an employee discount and even knows the decorators? As far as how the cake will look, there are some talented decorators at chains.
Did you offer the cake for free? Has she seen any of your pictures? If you really really want to gift them the cake, how about calling her and sending some pics???

cheferyn Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 26

Oh well, count your blessings. It would probably would have been the biggest headache. Now you can just enjoy the wedding and not be stressed. Just remember when it comes time for the cake serving, go to the restroom. If no one sees that you don't eat a piece, then it's not bad luck. icon_smile.gif

becky27 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 26

wow...that really sucks....kakeladi said...they are so wrapped up in the whole wal mart thing...they probaly had people saying they would give them good deals since they work there...a way that their co-workers could get involved??!!!
but nonetheless, she will look back and see what a huge mistake that was in the long run...after all is said and done!!!!! i am sorry!!!! brightside....now you just have to worry about yourself and enjoy your visit...unless something happens to the cake and you will have to fix and repair!!!!!! hahahahahahaha
chin up....we all know you are super awesome!!!!!

CakeDesigns Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 26

Since they work there they may know the decorator and will get a nicer cake than regular customers.

CookieMeister Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 26

I'm not a fan of Wally World for cake or otherwise. I can't even imagine a wedding cake from Wal-Mart.

Oh, wait, yes I can. I envision a cake with shell borders and confetti candy sprinkles. <shudder>

jardot22 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 26

I'm sorry to hear that, but at least you can relax and enjoy the wedding without worrying about getting a perfect cake done! Do they live in Bentonville, AR? That's where I live! icon_smile.gif

Getus Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:26pm
post #10 of 26

Yea, they live in Pea Ridge area.
I don't mean to sound like I am bashing them or their choice of a wally world cake...it's just that I thought they'd jump at the chance for a really custom cake. Yes, I offered to make it for free.
In all honesty, our niece is the absolute most kind hearted kind of gal, and she told me, Aunt Carla, I don't want you to have to hassle with anything to make this trip...just want you guys to come and have fun. They have grown up with wally world...and both went to work there after graduating. I guess I just thought she might want something a little more "special" for her day.
I am sure her cake will be just fine. If she's happy with having WM make her cake, then I should be happy with it, as well. thumbs_up.gif

luv_to_decorate Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:58am
post #11 of 26

Could you offer to do the groom's cake? That would be easier than the wedding cake. That could be your gift to them.

playingwithsugar Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:21am
post #12 of 26

Don't take it so personally. They thought they were doing you a favor, so let it be. Who knows? We have a lot of great decorators here at CC that work at WM or Kroger, Sam's Club Bakery, etc. Maybe your niece will be lucky enough to have one of our CC family do her cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:36am
post #13 of 26

My sister did the same thing. I had bought the supplies for the cake, then a week before the wedding she went to Walmart with her new inlaws and ordered a cake. She said she didn't want me to have to worry about it, but my mom said it was really that she didn't think I could do it.

Anyhow, my sister's Walmart wedding cake fell during the reception. It's structure was styrofoam plates and push-through pillars, and I noticed it leaning about 30 min. into the reception but didn't mention it to anyone because I didn't want to seem angry about not having made the cake. 15 min later it toppled and the top tier hit the floor. They served the bottom tier right then, and then everyone left.

BCJean Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:37am
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_to_decorate

Could you offer to do the groom's cake? That would be easier than the wedding cake. That could be your gift to them.

I think this is a great idea.

They probably know the decorator personally and she has probably been telling them forever...."When you get married I want to make your wedding cake".

..and yes, some of these joke stores have some very good decorators who make very nice cakes.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:37am
post #15 of 26

I think you have a niece who loves you and more than a special cake, she wants a special time with an aunt she loves. She is not doing this to hurt your feelings, she is doing this to make it easy on you. If it were me I would go, rave over the cake she chose and have a fun relaxing time.

JulyMama Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:14am
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

but my mom said it was really that she didn't think I could do it.

Are you serious? Has she seen pictures of your cakes? they are amazing! I bet she was kicking herself for not utilizing your fab skills!

littlecake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:46am
post #17 of 26

They did you a favor, i made the cakes for my son's wedding...AGH...it made the day awful, if i could get in a time machine and go back...i wouldn't have done it

in2cakes2 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:57am
post #18 of 26

I think gifting a grooms cake would be very nice! thumbs_up.gif

bethola Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:05am
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

I think you have a niece who loves you and more than a special cake, she wants a special time with an aunt she loves. She is not doing this to hurt your feelings, she is doing this to make it easy on you. If it were me I would go, rave over the cake she chose and have a fun relaxing time.

I agree with this statement. I don't know that I would do a groom's cake either as she has expressed that she wants YOU to enjoy her day. Relax and enjoy her day.

Beth in KY

BitsnBites Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:15am
post #20 of 26

From the title I thought you meant a Wally World theme cake. you know the one from National Lampoon's Vacation. Lol icon_biggrin.gif

Getus Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:37pm
post #21 of 26

I am definitely going to go and enjoy myself! Our niece is a wonderful young lady who would never intentionally hurt anyone's feelings...so I in turn would never say or do anything to make her think I am disappointed in not being asked to make her cake. It may very well be that she knows the gals in the bakery, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that maybe there's someone like BCJean with tons of talent and experience that will be creating her cake. icon_wink.gif
Just because it's a wally world cake doesn't mean it won't be just fine...my thinking was that I would be able to offer more "custom" work. But, she is the bride, and whatever she wants is supreme....it's her day. I love her to pieces and will eat the cake, rave about it, and enjoy her day with her.
Texas Rose, I certainly hope the cake doesn't fall like your sister's did..omg that would be just awful.
Meeh....that is too funny! I love that movie...in fact, I love all the National Lampoon vacation movies! But, their trip to Wally World...that was too much. Now THAT would be a hideous choice for a wedding cake theme! icon_lol.gif

BCJean Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:26pm
post #22 of 26

Getus You are one fine lady. I can understand how it would be disappointing to you to not be making her cake. It would have been a chance for you to give of yourself to someone who means a lot to you and to make a very special day even more special for your niece.

As others have said, your being there and enjoying the day will mean a lot to her also.

Those who do not decorate do not understand the personal feelings a decorator pours into a cake and that it is an expression of love from each of us.

cylstrial Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:23pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

My sister did the same thing. I had bought the supplies for the cake, then a week before the wedding she went to Walmart with her new inlaws and ordered a cake. She said she didn't want me to have to worry about it, but my mom said it was really that she didn't think I could do it.

Anyhow, my sister's Walmart wedding cake fell during the reception. It's structure was styrofoam plates and push-through pillars, and I noticed it leaning about 30 min. into the reception but didn't mention it to anyone because I didn't want to seem angry about not having made the cake. 15 min later it toppled and the top tier hit the floor. They served the bottom tier right then, and then everyone left.

What was your sister thinking? Your cakes are wonderful!! +

Tee-Y Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #24 of 26

I kind of like the idea of a groom's cake. Do something small but detailed, pour your love into that and present that to your niece and enjoy yourself at the wedding.

DelectabilityCakes Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #25 of 26

I agree with BeeBoos.

jlynnw Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #26 of 26

I must agree with the posts. I think your niece just wants you! and all of you to be there for the wedding and the activities. She may realize 2 trips in one month are a lot for you and she wants you to be able to relax. Deep down, she may prefer a custom cake but not at your expense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%