Can You Add Gum Tex To Mff When You Make It?

Decorating By margaretb Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 12:14am by Texas_Rose

margaretb Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a batch of fondant for making figures for birthdays over the next month. I have read suggestings about adding gum tex to fondant to make it firmer. I'm wondering if I could just add some gum tex to the icing sugar while I am making the fondant. Would that wreck it? Would it still be palatable with the gum tex for those who want to eat the figures and decorations? Would I still be able to store the unused fondant for later?

4 replies
Creative_chika Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 5

I was ging to ask this same question... Wasn't sure how much of each were suposed to be mixed togethe how...

margaretb Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 5

I read a post about adding tylose to fondant, and someone said 2 tsp per pound homemade and 1 1/2 tsp per pound storebought. The gumpaste recipe in my wilton year book calls for 1 tbsp gum tex per pound of sugar. I don't want this fondant to be rock hard, but I don't want the figures to sag either. And I want it to be edible. Maybe I will suck it up and make two batches -- one with gum tex and one without, and then if the gum tex is a disaster, I can use the other stuff. I've been procrastinating, and I need to get the decorations done tomorrow. Why oh why didn't I suck it up and just order a bunch of Satin Ice?

margaretb Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 5

I decided not to use the gum tex because (1) I am running out of time to do everything I need to do today and (2) I can't find it. However, I did two things differently -- first, instead of 1 c corn syrup, I used approx half Wilton glucose and half corn syrup, and second, when it was done cooking, I actually let it cool down -- usually I dump it in hot or after only a few minutes. Then I used my usual two bags of icing sugar, and it seems quite a bit thicker than usual. Don't know if that is the glucose, the cooling time, or my imagination. I hope it isn't going to end up too stiff tomorrow, but I guess if worse comes to worse, it will be a buttercream ocean cake instead of fondant figures. It's for my son's 4th birthday party, and he doesn't pay!

Texas_Rose Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:14am
post #5 of 5

I've added gum-tex to MMF before. I just sprinkle it on the finished MMF and knead it in. You'll feel a change in the texture when you've added enough. I don't think it would be at all pleasant to eat (smell that can of gum-tex) and it dries hard enough that someone could chip a tooth.

I've had good luck with making figures, flowers, bows, etc. out of MMF. As long as there are a couple of days for it to dry it seems to get hard enough to last, but those really determined people who want to eat it are still able to. If I'm making a figure that needs some support, I use lollipops on plastic sticks and build the figure on top of that. I use the MMF recipie that's just marshmallows, powdered sugar and water. I've always been pleased enough with it that I haven't needed to try a more complicated recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%