Which Fondant Is Best?

Decorating By Cat30 Updated 1 May 2009 , 3:07am by Cables4fun

Cat30 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 23

Hi,
I am a novice to cake decorating. I have been doing my kids cakes for forever. I have taken the Wilton classes and do great with buttercream icing. The only fondant that I have tried so far is the Wilton kind, and don't care for it. I have also tried to make my own out of marshmallow and didn't care for it either. icon_razz.gif

Which fondant do you guys use? Does it taste really good? or do any of you have a recipe for a great tasting fondant? I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks soooo much.

Cathy icon_biggrin.gif

22 replies
cylstrial Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 23

I really like Satin Ice and Fondx. =o) Satin Ice is cheaper, so I usually go use it. =o) But they are both great and taste so much better than the Wilton brand.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 23

I like Fondx and Satin ice for colored fondant

tootsie927 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 23

I have just started using Satin Ice and like it much better than the Wilton
fondant. Everyone says that it tastes much better, I can not bring myself to taste any of it. The Satin Ice is vanilla flavored and I would guess that is what makes it taste better, it is much softer than the Wilton and does already come colored which is great. I thing you will be pleased if you try it.

tiggy2 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 23

I prefer choc-o-pan but I've heard Michele Foster's recipe on this site is very tasty and easy to work with.

CookieMeister Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 23

Love Michele Foster's! Easiest to make too. I love letting my mixer with the dough hook do most of the work. icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 23

I currently use Satin Ice but I'm switching to Jennifer Dont'z premade fondant recipe.

cylstrial Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 23

You know I tried Michelle Foster's updated recipe and mine turned out terribly. It was just lumps of fondant and powdered sugar that looked like white peas. I'm sure that I did something wrong...and I'll definitely try it again. But that's my input for now.

I didn't know that Jennifer Dontz had a fondant recipe. I'll have to try that too!

JenniferMI Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #9 of 23

I only use a semi-homemade white chocolate fondant. It's very easy to make, performs like a dream and tastes GREAT!

Wilton.... uughhh.... IMO I think that is only good for dummies.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Frankyola Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #10 of 23

I AM SUPER MEGA FAN DE MICHELE FOSTER'S FONDANT TO COVER MY CAKES AND NICHOLAS LODGE GUMPASTE FOR MY FLOWERS AND FIGURES, I LOVE THEM thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

kentuckyjode Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #11 of 23

I love Jennifer Dontz's recipe!! I tastes great and is a dream to work with...it really is a world of difference!!Try it...you will love it.

Cat30 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 23

Thanks everyone!!

dberck Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:47pm
post #13 of 23

I did a search and couldn't find a fondant recipe from Jennifer Dontz. Is it posted here? If not, where do you find it?

auntbeesbaking Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #14 of 23

Hi. I use Michele Foster's original fondant and it's a dream! You can flavor it to anything! Last, year I even made it lemonade flavored and you could eat it without anything else! To flavor them, I use Lorain Oils. Let me know if you want to try the original recipe and I'll send it to you. Have fun!

Deb

P.S. Just thought I'd mention it but you probably already know this, but I find it easier to color it with the liquids before I add the powdered sugar. thumbs_up.gif

SpudCake Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I only use a semi-homemade white chocolate fondant. It's very easy to make, performs like a dream and tastes GREAT!

Wilton.... uughhh.... IMO I think that is only good for dummies.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Jen,

Would you mind sharing that recipe?

Joanne usaribbon.gif

sweet_teeth Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:21pm
post #16 of 23

I made MFF for the first time last week... .and it tasted great but the texture was a disaster and wouldn't even come together to make a ball. I used the 'updated one' where it called for 3.5lbs of powdered sugar and 2tb of the other measurements. The original one calls for 3tbs of the other measurements (such as gelatin, etc.). I'm thinking I should try the old version, as many people rave about it!

Cables4fun Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:44pm
post #17 of 23

I use Jennifer Dontz's fondant recipe. It is amazing!! All of my customers who come in wanting buttercream only, taste this fondant and change their minds completely!! It tastes SO good and is REALLY easy!! You can find the recipe and step by step directions on Jennifer's DVD THE EASY and TASTY WAY to PERFECT FONDANT. On the DVD she also shows you how to apply it to different shaped cakes. Her fondant is so much easier for me to work with than the others I have tried and it always comes out PERFECT!

She also has another DVD called, FUN WITH FONDANT FRILLS that takes the fondant even farther with decorating techniques like quilting and ribbons and her Pearl Clay recipe. THAT recipe is worth the price of the DVD alone!! You can find the DVDs at a few places, but the best price is at her website, www.jenniferdontz.com. I looked there the other night and saw that she has added a lot of new goodies lately and I am begging my husband and daughter for them for Mother's Day!! The new set of heart cutters is REALLY cool!!

Oh, and another thing I like about Jennifer is that she gets back to you really quickly if you have any questions about her DVDs or the items that you buy from her website. I just think she is the best!! I had a lot of questions when I started and she REALLY helped me. Take a look if you get a chance!!

Anyway, I hope that helps!!!

Lauri

shanabanana919 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:24pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cables4fun

I use Jennifer Dontz's fondant recipe. It is amazing!! All of my customers who come in wanting buttercream only, taste this fondant and change their minds completely!! It tastes SO good and is REALLY easy!! You can find the recipe and step by step directions on Jennifer's DVD THE EASY and TASTY WAY to PERFECT FONDANT. On the DVD she also shows you how to apply it to different shaped cakes. Her fondant is so much easier for me to work with than the others I have tried and it always comes out PERFECT!

She also has another DVD called, FUN WITH FONDANT FRILLS that takes the fondant even farther with decorating techniques like quilting and ribbons and her Pearl Clay recipe. THAT recipe is worth the price of the DVD alone!! You can find the DVDs at a few places, but the best price is at her website, www.jenniferdontz.com. I looked there the other night and saw that she has added a lot of new goodies lately and I am begging my husband and daughter for them for Mother's Day!! The new set of heart cutters is REALLY cool!!

Oh, and another thing I like about Jennifer is that she gets back to you really quickly if you have any questions about her DVDs or the items that you buy from her website. I just think she is the best!! I had a lot of questions when I started and she REALLY helped me. Take a look if you get a chance!!

Anyway, I hope that helps!!!

Lauri

Hey Lauri!!!!
Would you be willing to share Jennifer D's recipe???

Cables4fun Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #19 of 23

Hi Shanabanana919,

Yes, I REALLY love Jennifer Dontz's Chocolate Fondant, and yes, it is the absolute best I have ever had, but I also love Jennifer and know the hard work and money she put into making her outstanding Videos. I would not feel right about just giving out her recipes, but you should REALLY invest in her videos not only for her recipes, but also for all of the information she shares. It is information that you will use right now and time and again. Hers were the first videos I got when I started, and I am self taught, and I would not trade them for ANYTHING!! Between Jennifer Dontz and Sharon Zambito's great directions, one cannot go wrong!!

Though I cannot share her recipe with you, I can advise you to PLEASE go to her website at www.jenniferdontz.com and purchase her videos. They will be one of the best investments you will ever make in your sugarart career! Not only will you get the recipe for her Chocolate Fondant, but also her Candy Clay and her Pearl Clay, which makes the most realistic pearls, lace and trimmings you will ever find, but her directions and her constant support. She is always there to support her customers with any questions, problems or crisis. I know I have called on her several times when I did not understand something or just plain needed help!!

Best of luck to you Shanabanana919!! I hope you will go yo Jennifer's site and take a look. It was the best thing I ever did for my business!!!

Lauri

LaBellaFlor Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:40am
post #20 of 23

I like Macsmom marshmallow fondant. It actually TASTE good. My kids actually ate it & they would never eat traditional fondant. I still haven't tried Michele Fosters, but I mean to. I think I like the low cost & ease of making Macsmom's MMF.

blondeez Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:45am
post #21 of 23

If you dont want to make it. I buy Satin Ice ( I think this is how its spelled. Its very yummy and the color does not fade.

shanabanana919 Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:25am
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cables4fun

Hi Shanabanana919,

Yes, I REALLY love Jennifer Dontz's Chocolate Fondant, and yes, it is the absolute best I have ever had, but I also love Jennifer and know the hard work and money she put into making her outstanding Videos. I would not feel right about just giving out her recipes, but you should REALLY invest in her videos not only for her recipes, but also for all of the information she shares. It is information that you will use right now and time and again. Hers were the first videos I got when I started, and I am self taught, and I would not trade them for ANYTHING!! Between Jennifer Dontz and Sharon Zambito's great directions, one cannot go wrong!!

Though I cannot share her recipe with you, I can advise you to PLEASE go to her website at www.jenniferdontz.com and purchase her videos. They will be one of the best investments you will ever make in your sugarart career! Not only will you get the recipe for her Chocolate Fondant, but also her Candy Clay and her Pearl Clay, which makes the most realistic pearls, lace and trimmings you will ever find, but her directions and her constant support. She is always there to support her customers with any questions, problems or crisis. I know I have called on her several times when I did not understand something or just plain needed help!!

Best of luck to you Shanabanana919!! I hope you will go yo Jennifer's site and take a look. It was the best thing I ever did for my business!!!

Lauri

Thank you for the info! I totally understand what you are saying, and I will look into it!

Cables4fun Posted 1 May 2009 , 3:07am
post #23 of 23

Shanabanana919,

I am so glad!! You will NOT be disappointed, I promise!!

Good Luck in all you do!!

Lauri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%