3-D Bowling Pins?

Decorating By SugaredUp Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 1:02pm by SugaredUp

SugaredUp Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 13

Any suggestions or tips on how to do these?

Thank you!

12 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 13

My best guess is carve it from a loaf shaped cake - with luck it will wide enough for the size you need.

Good Luck & Post pics when you are done - I'd love to see how it comes out icon_smile.gif

SugaredUp Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 13

That is kind of what I was planning to do. Then I saw the Wilton pan, but I need to make approx. 5 pins, and that will be too much cake. I think carving is best.

However - if anyone has made a 3-D pin - how easy is it to transport? My customer insists on picking this cake up herself, which sorta worries me.

SugaredUp Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 13

What I am thinking is putting cake on top of a styrofoam base. So cut out the bottom of the pins from styrofoam and then use cake on top of that for 5 servings apiece. Then I can hot glue the styrofoam to the board and it would support the top cake portion without crumbling. And I wouldn't be as worried about her transporting it.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 13

Perhaps you could carve them from stacked 6" cakes and the use modeling chocolate/ RKT from the neck up. This is of course if you want them standing up. Laying down..I would do what Kimmers971 said.

HTH. Can't wait to see pics

SugaredUp Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 13

I've never worked with modeling chocolate. Which do you think would be easier, the chocolate or RKT?

Do you know where to get RKT at a decent price? These cakes will be covered in BC, by the way, not that it will matter too much. Except maybe on a RKT -wouldn't it make it bumpy?

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 13

If you mix the RTK and Modeling chocolate, it is a DREAM to work with. I made the 9.5" tall Optimus Prime using that method. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
I usually buy my RKT @ Wal-mart. I get the 16 pk box. With the Modeling chocolate/ RKT using bc won't matter @ all

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 13

How big do you need them?

SugaredUp Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 13

a good size in proportion to the 3-D bowling ball. It looks like Wilton's old pin pan was a 5x13, so something similar in size to that. I'm using the sports ball pan for the ball.

SugaredUp Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 13

diamondsonblackvelvet13, could you possibly PM me with the modeling choc recipe you use? I would so appreciate it!

cylstrial Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:47pm
post #11 of 13

I think RKT definitely sound the best way to go, if you are wanting 3D. I just saw a really cute cake bowling picture somewhere, but who knows where it was!

myholidayboyz Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 13

We did 2 pins and a ball, it's in my pictures. It was relatively easy to transport, our problem was that it was hot and the ball slid.

For the pins we used the Wilton egg pan. We cut of the tops and bottoms and shaped it a bit. The top was made using rice crispy treats on a stick. Before frosting we covered it in chocolate ganache to glue it all together. It was a huge hit!

Have fun! I can't wait to see what you end up doing!

SugaredUp Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:02pm
post #13 of 13

It seems like the modeling chocolate/RKT should go on bottom to provide a sturdy base...? My holidayboyz, yours look great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%