Why Are My Cakes Falling?? Help

Decorating By mom2boog Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm by mom2boog

mom2boog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2boog Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 11

Last night I made 3 strawberry cakes using the original WASC recipe and all 3 of them came out with a sink hole right in the middle. What could be happening and can i still use those cakes... wedding on sat!

Please someone help me. icon_cry.gif

10 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 11

Did you open the oven while they were baking? That can cause sinking. I would level the cake and see what it looks like on the inside. Maybe it's just the top part that has some issues.

mom2boog Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 11

I did have to open the door as my light is out on my over-arrggghhh.. I will level them tonight and hopefully I can salvage them.

thanks so much!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 11

What size pan are you using and how long did you bake them for? Are you sure that the center is cooked?

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 11

Even if you have to open the dor to check, I would wait to do that until at least the minimum cooking time for the cake has past. That way even if it's not completely done, it should be done enough not to fall. icon_smile.gif Good luck!

mom2boog Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 11

2 of them were 8x2 squares and the other 12x2 square. I tested with a tootpick and it came out clean??? and while on the subject.. is the toothpick thing a bad idea?

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 11

I had that problem 2 summers ago and I was ready to give up on cakes all together. Some said it was humidity but I started making sure that I used only cold water in my cakes and only one kind of egg and made sure my mixing bowl was cold and I have not had that problem again. Good luck with it I know it really sucks.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 11

What did you add to it to make it strawberry? If you added puree you may have added too much and that will cause them to fall flat like pancakes and be really gummy in texture.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by srodts

I had that problem 2 summers ago and I was ready to give up on cakes all together. Some said it was humidity but I started making sure that I used only cold water in my cakes and only one kind of egg and made sure my mixing bowl was cold and I have not had that problem again. Good luck with it I know it really sucks.

What is the theory behind things being cold? I was taught that everything should be at room temp in baking except when the recipe specified otherwise. Or is this something specific to box mixes?

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 11

It may be a box mix thing I dont really know. My MIL had the same problem but could not tell me why so I just starting trying different things and that is what helped. I wish i had the answers for you but I dont. I do use a doctored box recipe.

mom2boog Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #11 of 11

thank you all for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%