~~Cake Challenge @ The View~~

Decorating By cakeladyatLA Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 7:27pm by driveacake

cakeladyatLA Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 19

Did anybody see the Sherri Shepperd's Birthday cake challenge "throwdown" yesterday on The View?

The challenge was to make a cake for Sherri without talking to her, they had to do their own research on her and come up with a cake and then explained it to the audience.
It was Mary, Courtney and Brownwen competing in a mini challenge.
Mary's cake was classic Mary; topsy turvy boxes, the biggest one represented love and her son Jeffrey was popping out of it, the second one it was laugh to represent her job as a comedian, and finally the top one was representing her life and had a modeled Sherri popping out like a jack in the box.
The tasting counted also, Mary made a chocolate cake with a peanut butter filling.

Courtney's cake it was 2 cakes actually, because it was also, Jeffrey's Birthday also, 3 tiers topsy turvy and it had a bunch of details about her life, a cup of tea with lemons all around, the rolls on her hair for a show she used to do, etc. on the toop was also a sculpted Sherri sitting at a replica of the view table.
Jeffrey's cake was a simple smaller 3 tiered cake.
Tha cake was vanilla with strawberries in the filling.

Brownwen's cake is hard to describe hehe, it had an odd shape. it was 3 tiered and also had a bunch of details describing Sherri's career as a comedian, etc. it had fondant (or gumpaste) cut-outs.
The flavor was strawberry orange and butter flavored (hhmmmm...)

They were really nice cakes.
And the winner was:

Courtney!!

She chose her cake, it was really nice.
I can take pictures of the cakes on TV, they would not be real nice pictures but you could see the cakes. Can anybody tell me if it's against the rules cause I'd have no idea, and I don't want to do a NO-NO.

Also you can see full episodes of the view on their website (you have to download something to see them)

http://www.abc.go.com/daytime/theview/

The episode is for April 22nd 2009

Patty*

18 replies
diane Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:36am
post #2 of 19

this is a first for me...can't wait to see it! icon_biggrin.gif

adven68 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:48am
post #3 of 19

Thnk you for so much detail. That Courtney is becoing a superstar!

paulstonia Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:36am
post #4 of 19

I was listing on the radio, I have a radio that picks up t.v. stations, and I really wanted to see them. I checked to see if there were pictures on the web, but there not, I'll just have to watch the whole episode.

cakeladyatLA Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 19

ok, ill upload the pix

FeGe_Cakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 19
weirkd Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 19

Boy, her career is shooting out! Im wondering now if she wins tonights Last Cake Standing. Its a good thing that she didnt give up on Challenges like she had mentioned after the whole Kerry/sabatoge scandel. Glad to see her move past it all. For someone that hasnt had much publicity compared to Bronwen and Mary, she sure can stand on her own! The hippo she did in the last challenge was so awesome. Even my husband kept saying Wow! I told him he should of seen the Finding Nemo cake she did. Spot on! And Keegan thought her helper was "the better sculpture". Sure put his foot in his mouth on that one!!!

Suebee Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks for the youtube link. I actually liked Mary's cake the best.

sweetjan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks for sharing. I had no idea that was coming on.

fiddlesticks Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 19

Yes I saw it ! I thought it was a fun one to watch !
I kind of wondered if she picked Courtney's cake because of the extra cake she made for her son Jeffrey ?
It was a very nice cake though!

FeGe_Cakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suebee

Thanks for the youtube link. I actually liked Mary's cake the best.

Me too. But I think she liked Courtney's flavor better.

steffla Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #12 of 19

I think it might have been the flavor also. Courtney's cake was great but I sort of felt like the middle tier needed to be turned the other way. Did anyone else feel like it gave the appearance of a leaning tower more than a topsy turvy?

I loved all of the cakes as always but I think Mary's was best!! Thanks for sharing this by the way, I would not have known about it!!!

cakecitycakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:06pm
post #13 of 19

That is totally cool. Up here in Canada we don't always get the same FoodNetwork tv shows so thanks for the youtube link! I'd love to watch the episodes on hulu.com but can't because it's not available up in Canada (darn!!!). Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

weirkd Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #14 of 19

That was so neat! I think because Sherri ran back to eat Courtney's is why she won. Not that it wasnt awesome because it was! I think all three of them were amazing! I loved the way Bronwens looked like a 3d picture box effect and I loved Mary's sculptures of Sherri and her son! Totally cool!

tonedna Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:02am
post #15 of 19

All the cakes were gorgeous..I do think she loved those strawberries in Courtney's Cake. But I couldn't pick one cake.. They were awesome!
Edna icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #16 of 19

I had no idea they were on The View! I will totally have to watch that clip!
Thank heavens you all know where this stuff is!!

driveacake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:11am
post #17 of 19

You know, the only reason Courtney is who she is today is because of Marina Sousa, she took her under her wing in that one competition and totally "made" her.

Cakepro Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:07am
post #18 of 19

How cool was that!

Thanks for posting, OP, and thanks for posting the YouTube link, FeGe!

LOL, driveacake...if Courtney did not possess the skills and talent, she would not be where she is today. Courtney rocks!!

driveacake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:27pm
post #19 of 19

Cakepro, I do agree that she has great talent, but I just feel like she is one of those song artists where all of their songs are hits, but they sound the same? she is talented in many ways and could not be where she is without it, but I feel we see the same cake over and over with a little twist. I enjoy people like mary, marina, mike and many others where although they have a signature look about their cakes, they can do something off the charts and totally different everytime! I feel like we can expect the same thing from Courtney everytime. That Mike Macarey, I sware he blows me away everytime I see one of his cakes. I hope to see more of that from Courtney, Switch it up Girlfriend!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%