Gold Luster Dust

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 11:57pm by LP4702

CanadianCakin Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 6

I've never used the wilton gold luster dust before and I am make a Bible cake with gold accents for my church....I was just wondering for this with experience using it is there anyhting I should know before I start? Any tips or tricks? Or hey, do I just sprinkle it on!
Thanks so much for helping me out...I'm learning, but I'll get there!

Ashley icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
KrissieCakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 6

Adding the dust to a little clear alchohol, like vodka or everclear, works really well. Then you can paint it on. That is what I did with the crown on my princess cake in my pics. Some people say you can use lemon juice or clear vanilla, but I think the vodka dries quicker and leaves less streaks.

KrissieCakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 6

Oh yeah - I used the Wilton gold dust too - it's not as potent as some of the other brands of luster dust, so to get a really good gold color I started with yellow/gold fondant and had to do quite a few coats of the gold to get good coverage.

tracey1970 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 6

I've used it a few times, and mixed it with vodka. I did find that you need to add more vodka to the lustre dust than you do to the regular gel colours.

Sweet_Guys Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 6

What I do is pour some rum or vodka into the cap of the alcohol bottle. I don't have steady hands so this works best for me. Then I try to pour 1-2 drops of the alcohol into the cover of the dust. We use luster dust. Then I take the paint brush and dip it into the luster and then swirl it into the alcohol. I add as much dust as I need until I've got paint. If you end up using the entire capful, add more alcohol and/or dust.

I usually leave the cover off the dust until it evaporates before recovering the container.

LP4702 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 6

I love your method Sweet_Guys thumbs_up.gif

It is so great that whenever I have a question to come in here and find the answer!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%