Cracking Fondant

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 11:57am by Lee15

CanadianCakin Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 6

Question for all you there a way to make sure your fondant doesn't crack when it dries?

Thanks for the info!

5 replies
KrissieCakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 6

I'm no expert, but using Crisco on the fondant has really helped me keep my fondant from cracking. I started using PS to roll out the fondant, but I always got the elephant skin look and cracking around the edges. Now that I use crisco (not a lot!) it stays really nice for me.

CanadianCakin Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 6

So when rolling out the fondant instead of layering thesurface with icing sugar use a layer of crisco instead?

KrissieCakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 6

Yes - a very very thin layer. Keep a little on your hands and the fondant won't stick to your hands either. I have found though that if you use too much crisco the fondant gets a little too stretchy and rips easier. So be careful how much you use! I've also heard that a dusting of cornstarch can be better than powdered/icing sugar, but I haven't tried that yet!

Rylan Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:47am
post #5 of 6

I'm also not an expert but I've never really had a problem with the fondant cracking on the cake as it dries. However, on the process of laying the fondant, I do. I usually just use crisco to smoothen it out.

I have tried smearing a small amount of crisco on my countertop an it didn't do very well (it kept sticking). I suggest you get a silicone mat, no crisco, no powdered sugar and no cornstarch.

Lee15 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:57am
post #6 of 6

Make sure before you start using the fondant, that the consistency feels ok. If you start out with it a little stiff, it will only get stiffer as it dries.

And like the others said, silicone mat is the way to go. No Crisco, no cornstarch and no PS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%