Wedding Cake Vs. Party Cake Pricing

Decorating By ladycake17 Updated 21 May 2009 , 12:56pm by ccr03

ladycake17 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 9

I need some help! Can someone tell me the difference in pricing a 3 tier wedding cake or a 3 tier party cake? I always get much less for the party cake and by the time I get done I could kick myself because it I spend more time on a party cake than I do a wedding cake. Thanks in advance for your help!

8 replies
ccr03 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 9

There is no difference in my pricing. Cake is cake. The same work goes into each.

Raise your prices so they are all the same. Otherwise you'll get brides asking you why a party cake is cheaper than a wedding cake.

I also charge an additional fee for detailed/intricate decoration, gumpaste work, etc...whether it's a party cake or wedding cake.

PinkZiab Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 9

I agree, cake is cake... wedding, birthday, bar mitzvah... I price the cake based on the design of the cake, regardless of the occasion.

Sweet_Guys Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 9

We adapted a spreadsheet we found on here to 2" & 3" cakes. If someone wants a party cake, we ask them how tall they want the layers. If they want a traditional wedding cake size, then we bake two 2" cakes for the tier. If they only want one 2" tier, then they only get charged half of what you would charge for a wedding cake tier.

We charge $3 per slice. So a party cake tier will be half the height of a wedding cake and half the price. However, you won't ever need to explain why the wedding cake costs more than a party cake.

HTH

Paul

indydebi Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of 9

Here is what has ALWAYS confused me about those who charge wedding and party pricing......

If the party piece is 50% bigger than the wedding size, WHY are you selling it at the same pirce as the wedding price? I mean, you have different sizes of servings, why WOULDN'T you have different sizes in pricing? icon_confused.gif

(i.e. wedding serving is 1x2x4 - 8 cubic inches. Party serving is 1.5x2x4 = 12 cubic inches. Difference = 50% larger)

Trust me, your customers HAVE figured this out.

Order a medium coke.....order a large coke....you're paying more for the bigger serving of coke.

I have one price. It flat out says on my website, "If it LOOKS like a wedding cake, it's PRICED like a wedding cake."

j-pal Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:33am
post #6 of 9

I don't have "wedding" and "party" prices... I have "tiered", "sheet" and "specialty" prices.

If it's tiered... whether it's a party or a wedding... it gets priced the same.

If it's sheet... whether it's a party or a wedding... it gets priced the same.

The difference is that if I'm doing a 12x18 sheetcake (single layer, 2x2 serving size), it technically serves 54 people. If I'm charging a minimum of $2.50 per serving, I should be charging about $140 for this sheetcake. I don't charge that. I have a sheetcake price based on the difficulty of design.

So to clarify... I have sheetcake prices and tiered prices. Yes, there is a difference. To me, decorating a 12x18 sheetcake is easier than a 2-layer 12" round that has to be doweled, supported, handled differently and usually has a more intricate design. I think it's easier to do 3 sheetcakes to serve 150 people than a 3-tier wedding cake... therefore my price reflects what I consider to be easier to do. Not to mention, I seriously doubt that I could find anyone around here willing to pay $140 for a sheetcake. I do specialty cakes that easily cost that and more, but it has to do with the decorations, not how many people it serves.

Deb_ Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:02pm
post #7 of 9

ladycake........how do you charge for your cakes. Do you have a set *per slice* price? i.e. $3.00 per slice bc.

All of my cakes are priced based on the Wilton *wedding* size slices.

In my showroom I have models of different size slices of dummy cake.

When a client comes in I show them the Wilton wedding size piece and tell them that is the size they should expect to serve from each cake.

If they want their slices to be larger, then I explain to them that they will get fewer servings out of each tier, therefore they need to purchase more cake.

It doesn't matter if the cake is not for a wedding, my price is still based on wedding size slices.

I can't be bothered with different pricing for b-days, communions, anniversaries, graduations, etc.

I don't make what many of you call *sheet* cakes to sell. If a bride needs more servings I make *2 layer, torted and filled kitchen cakes* that are the same exact flavor as the wedding cake without all the decoration.
That way when guests are served at the wedding, everyone's cake slice looks the same. Sometimes these are rectangular in shape, but they are not 1 layer *sheet* cakes, yuck....hate those slab things.

If I were you I would change your pricing method to all one price per serving wedding or not. Otherwise your clients will start to question your prices.

LittleLinda Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 9

I'm resurrecting an old post I stumbled upon:

Like j-pal said, tiered cakes and sheetcakes or other party are totally different. To me it is not the serving size. Wedding cake prices per serving INCLUDE delivery, set up, pillers, plates, and whatnot. Naturally the price would be more. Sheetcakes are picked up by the customer and you're done with them. They should cost way less per serving.

ccr03 Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:56pm
post #9 of 9

I see your point Linda, but that's why I charge an additional delivery & set-up charge for wedding cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%