Pasturized Eggs Vs Unpasturized

Decorating By pinkbox Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 3:30pm by 7yyrt

pinkbox Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 7

I am curious.... call me dunce but....

I know some of you out there use eggwhites as your base. How do you know whether the eggs are pasturized or not... ??

I figure its store bought vs farm raised at home??

I looked on the packaging of the eggs I purchased in the store and none of them in any of the stores here (Texas) state that they are pasturized.

I looked on the websites for the various companies who supply the eggs and they do not state whether they are pasturized or not.

So how does an egg become pasturized so that it is safe to use in icing recipes?

TIA

6 replies
pinkbox Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 7

does anyone have any idea??

I want to try to make Mike McCareys buttercream recipe, but it has egg whites... and want to do it correctly.

TIA

cocorum21 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 7

you can use egg beaters egg whites. That's what I use and they are pasturized. as for regular whole eggs it here(in florida) it says on the package if they are pasturized eggs or not. I believe pasturization has something to do with bringing it to a certain temperature to kill bacteria(though I may be wrong).

cylstrial Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 7

Maybe you could call the company and ask them if their eggs are pasteurized? Maybe just as the last option, if no one else can answer your question. =o)

newmansmom2004 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 7

There are pasteurized eggs available in grocery stores in Texas. I've purchased some from an HEB. They're a bit more expensive and they DO say pasteurized on the carton. If you're having trouble finding them, try a specialty store like Sun Harvest, Central Market, Whole Foods, etc.

And yes, I believe some of the Egg Beaters egg whites are also pasteurized.

rockytop Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 7

Have you thought about using just the egg whites the you can purchased at the store. I purchased a small container and it states that they are Pastuized under the FDA.

HTH
Roger

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%