It's A Start...

Business By imamommy1205 Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 5:20pm by cylstrial

imamommy1205 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 4

My husband and I plan to open a bakery one day, but not for at least 4 more years. I need to work on my skills and we want for one of us to have a business degree (his work pays for him to go to school, so chances are I will have the decorating expertise and he will help me witht he business part (although I am sure I will still do the majority of that too lol).

Anyway, my husband is president website for a local Jeep Club. He knows some people who own a business where they have those inflatable bounce houses. They have party rooms and people have the option of the business providing cakes. They saw some of my cookies and my husband told them that I make cakes too (they are good friends). So THEY asked if I might be intereste in working with them. Making cakes and cookies if people choose to order them from them. I havent talked to them personally and this is just an idea, but I am kind of excited. It will give me some experience besides making cakes for family and friends. What I need to do now though is come up with some pictures of different cakes to offer (meaning making them and taking pics). Most of these people arent gonna want tiered and crazy looking cakes and working with a business I can't do any trademarked charaters unless I buy the kits (like WalMart has), which unless the owners of this place ask me to do, I probably won't.

So I am thinking of generic kid cakes to start with. Teddy bears, butterflies, flowers, poka dots, rainbows, trains, trucks, cars, fairies...anymore ideas?

Do you think this is a good plan? I know a lot of people are gonna want those character cakes. So should I go ahead and get some to provide as possiblities as well as the ones I design? I dont like the kits, but I know when I have a bakery, I WILL probably have those available also.

TIA for the input.

3 replies
7yyrt Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 4

Number cakes might be a good style.
Perhaps cakes that sort of 'go' with the bouncy houses and party rooms - matching the venue-type things.

jewelykaye Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 4

I don't really care for those kits from WalMart either but if you really think you might need to do it just design an awesome cake that incorporates the characters. That way you aren't just making a plain cake and plopping those on top. If that makes sense.

Also I would suggest looking at the party supply stores (online) and seeing what the popular decorations are and designing cakes around those.

This is a great opportunity for you! I wish you the best.

cylstrial Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 4

I think it's a wonderful opportunity! My only suggestion is to buy the pan the customer requests as they request it. So that you're not forking over lots of money for things that people might not ever request. Just my thoughts though. =o)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%