Freezing Cupcakes

Baking By kia77 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 1:22am by havingfun

kia77 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make 150 cupcakes for a school. Can someone please tell me if cupcakes can be made in advance and frozen. If so, how do you freeze them? Thanks.

5 replies
punkinpie Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 6

Wow 150 is A LOT of cupcakes!!

I've frozen cupcakes quite a bit and they have been fine. I freeze with no icing though. I put them in gladware, with a piece of plasctic wrap over the top and then put the lid on to make a good seal. I wait until they are completely thawed and at room temperature before I decorate them.

I only keep them in the freezer 2 - 3 weeks at most.

Kpow Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 6

I freeze cupcakes (unfrosted) all the time in regular freezer bags. Of course, this works best with a flat shelf to put them on. Otherwise, Punkinpie's Gladware and plastic wrap is a great idea, too. I wouldn't keep them frozen for more than a few weeks either, generally -- though just yesterday I found some mini vanilla cupcakes that I'd forgotten about that have been in there for several months and when I thawed them out, they actually tasted just fine. I was shocked that they weren't totally ice encrusted, but their texture hadn't changed at all. I was amazed!

Sweetcakes23 Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:03am
post #4 of 6

I'm new to this thread, so forgive me if this is repetitive...but, did you do anything different to these cupcakes before freezing them? Such as simple syrup? Any treatments to help keep cupcakes moister? I'v always done cakes, am new to cupcakes. I've always found them to be dry, and or dry out much faster. But I just had a FABULOUS cupcake tower made and wish to start making them for weddings. I just don't want them DRY!
Thanks for any help! thumbs_up.gif

Kpow Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 6

I do almost all cupcakes and have never had to use anything specific on them to keep them moist, even after freezing. (Knock wood!) The general advice I've seen about cupcakes is not to refrigerate them unless the specific frosting requires it, as this dries them out. I have found that covering the tops completely with frosting (no cake showing around the edges) and keeping them in an airtight container keeps them very moist and generally even makes them better on day 2 and even day 3!

havingfun Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:22am
post #6 of 6

I did 200 cupcakes for a party, using 6 different recipes, so I had to freeze them. (my little oven worked very hard for several days!) I found some of those cheap aluminum muffins pans on sale, put the cupcakes in them and then covered them securely with Press n Seal. This worked great. I froze them unfrosted of course. The pans also were a great way to transport some of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%