Why Do I Procrastinate?

Decorating By Skyebaby Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm by Tee-Y

Skyebaby Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 30

I have to make 7 wilton roses for my class this saturday and also come in with an iced cake. I love icing the actual cake. I enjoy baking the cake. But I don't care for making the icing. Once it's done, I have fun with it........but just knowing the mess I'll soon make and then the clean up and then the additonal mess of decorating bags and tips etc.........ugh.

Anyone else dread a certain part of the process? How do you overcome it? (yes, I realize just starting is one way.......but I mean how have you been able to actually change how you FEEL about doing it so that you don't dread it anymore).

29 replies
sugarlover Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 30

I'm the same way about baking but I know it has to be done. I set time aside and dedicate myself to those few tasks I dread doing and get it over with. In the end I'm so glad I did it in advance. icon_biggrin.gif

cakes22 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 30

I have to colour fondant today, red & black. Not looking forward to it.
I hate cleaning my tips and I use disposable decorating bags cause I hate the feel of the featherweight bags.
I hate wiping off my KA, but I'm neurotic about getting into all the different areas.
I hate getting the PS off my kitchen surface cause it looks like a layer of dust.
I hate putting things away. (totally seperate: I wish I could live out of a laundry basket, cause I hate putting clothes away!)
If I have my ipod playing then I don't mind it so much. I tune out and get'er done!

Texas_Rose Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 30

If you buy the disposable bags, it makes the cleanup much more pleasant. You can also keep a bowl of hot water to put the tips in as you finish with them.

The only time I really dread any parts of the process is when I'm in a rush or if I'm making something that I just don't care for.

Dizzymaiden Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 30

That is why I only did whipped cream and fruit for a long time! You just rinse the whipped cream off and ..sigh.. a little hot water and soap it's clean.

But most of my family is asking for my bc - I hate the greasy mess that bc makes. I love the look of pretty colored icing - but yes the process of getting it done and the cleaning up..ugh!

Where is the icing fairy when you need her (or him)!

sugarlover Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 30

I stopped using those feather weight bags a long time ago. Yes it's a pain to clean the tips. I've learned to contain the PS from flying everywhere.

Kimmers971 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 30

How do you manage to control the PS????????

I HATE doing dishes and we don't have a dishwasher so that's my biggest thing.

I also use disposible bags since the featherweights are next to impossible to get really greasefree.

So, other than cleaning it all up I'm just peachy icon_biggrin.gif

cakes22 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 30
Originally Posted by Kimmers971

How do you manage to control the PS????????

I put a CLEAN damp dish towel over my KA. Seems to help with the PS flying everywhere. Also I mix on low at the very begining. I have tried the clingwrap over the bowl, but that gets to be a PITA when you need to add more ingredients.

sugarcheryl Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #9 of 30

Skyebaby you are not by yourself. Sometimes I will wait till the last minute because I don't feel like making the icing or making all the mess and I don't think you ever get over it. It's part of what we do. But once I get started I'm excited but it's sometimes the getting started part.

AverageMom Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 30

Thanks for the idea about the clean towel over the mixer! That is my pet peeve, too. The PS flies around, and everything (including the clean dishes!) gets covered.

ChristaPaloma Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:28pm
post #11 of 30

I too start the mixer on low until all the powder is incorporated then crank it up....
I use the icing plugs in the featherweight bags so cleanup is minimal....just a dishcloth with hot soapy water and a qick rinse and stand them up in the dishwasher to dry.

For the tips, I put them in a mug or bowl with soapy water and microwave one minute... rinse and stand to dry on paper towel...

Works great!

Learned it here on CC... thank you for all your wonderful sharings CC... better than a school for sure!

CC Rocks!

Danielle1218 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:30pm
post #12 of 30

I use featherweight for buttercream and disposable for RI. I reuse the disposables until they get holes in them. I hate cleaning tips. I usually soak them in hot water.

destinyrn Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:41pm
post #13 of 30

I dread making icing too! I really don't like making royal icing. The damp kitchen towel over the KA really works well too.

Skyebaby Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:23pm
post #14 of 30

I figured out the damp kithchen towel trick REAL fast when I got PS in my eye that first time!!! lol

I also use disposables but I do use a FW and icing tip to ice the cake.

I do soak in hot soapy water first.

Today I got icing crumbles all.over.the.place. It was laughable, espeically when I found one on my chin!!! Ugh. But it is all clean again and the icing's made.

Now I still have to make roses (yet another slew of messes.......the tips, the bags, my spatula...I guess that's not so bad though) but the babe's gonna wake up soon so I have to choose shower over roses so her and I can get out of this house today (been cooped up for 3 rainy days).

I guess I'll do roses during her second nap and hope they dry in time for Sat morning.

Tomorrow I'll bake and ice. I like using a "fresh" cake because I still tend to pull off cake bits when I remove the saran wrap even if I swear that thing is cool as ice before wrapping it.

Thanks for letting me vent and pretty much write out my whole day. Y'all are a great sounding board.

solascakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm
post #15 of 30

I absolutely hate cleaning up(bags and tips),but loathe putting stuff away like the mixer cos i don't have much space so it's at the bottom of STUFF in the closet under the step,with piles of STUFF on top of it.In case there is a genie out there I wish for a cleaner.

cakedoll Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:01pm
post #16 of 30

I love the baking and even the buttercream, fondant, and gumpaste making. Very theraputic for me, but hate, hate, hate, the clean up. I also have asthma and a lot of cleaners will send me into an attack.

I went to Sam's a week ago and they had a package deal on a Shark floor and handheld steamer combo for $80.00. I bit the bullet and bought it. I put it together immediately so if I didn't like it, I could take it back right away.

It is fantastic. I even clean the KA with the handheld and it cuts all the cleaning time to less than half. And with the floor one, it dries almost immediately, which is a real plus.

If you use the handheld one, you can hit areas that you would have to do with a toothbrush otherwise. You just steam it and wipe it up, no scrubbing.

The floor model is also safe for everything, tile, ceramic, wood and laminate.

Sorry to sound like an infomercial, but I was so happy to find something that really worked and I could get away from all the cleaners icon_lol.gif

margaretb Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:48pm
post #17 of 30

I'M PROCRASTINATING RIGHT NOW!!! I hate the clean up too. I just realized that I can throw my tips in my dishwasher in the basket, which is AWESOME. I even put my featherweigth bags in there, but I will give them an extra hand wash to make sure they are clean. This is a BIG relief, especially because I am usually finishing cakes last minute so everything sits for a day before I get to it. I have also started to do a dishwasher load of JUST icing stuff -- all the bowls I mixed colours in, the knives, etc etc. I used to add them to my regular load but then everything would end up a little sticky. Now I wash them first then put them in with a regular load if they still need it. Before I clued in about the dishwasher, I had actually started having a sink (or large mixing bowl) of hot soapy water and throwing everything in there as i finished with it. That way, even if I didn't get around to really cleaning it, most of the icing had soaked out.

Better get off this site and make some fondant and then clean my entire house (shudder).

Dizzymaiden Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:58pm
post #18 of 30

I am in the same boat - no dishwasher! I moved into my now-husband's farm house from a modern city kitchen. Farm life has lost some of it's charm...heeehee.

Working on dh for a new kitchen!

Vylette Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 7:06pm
post #19 of 30

*raises hand*
another procrastinator here too
I have a cake to make for Monday evening...an upscale salon/spa grand opening.
There are ideas in my head of what I think I want to do, but nothing will actually get done until Saturday at least lol

CookieMeister Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #20 of 30

Not a procrastinator per se, but I know what you're talking about dreading the mess!

My hubby and I have an agreement - I cook dinners, he does the clean up. I've tried to translate that to my cakes/cookies, but he's not biting unless he's the recipient of said cakes/cookies.

Sigh. And I thought he loved me.

EatSomeCake Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 7:17pm
post #21 of 30

Cake doll,

Have you considered switching your cleaning products? I only use vinegar, baking soda with water to clean the house/kitchen, it's all very cheap and healthy for you and small children and not full of chemicals that will get into your fondant and such when you roll it out. My husband is asthmatic and conventional cleaners make him flare up too. When you really think about it , rubbing all these cleaners on everything is making things dirtier with chemicals and every time you do it you are making things more and more dirty and I believe it's really bad for people's health in general.

Mamacitadedos Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm
post #22 of 30

I too dread the clean up. The only thing that really gets me moving on it is knowing the mess is there. I'm not a neat freak per say but I HATE a messy kitchen to me the whole house is trashed if the kitchen isn't neat and tidy. Luckily I have my dishwashers (the electric appliance and the hubbs). I drop all the tips in the basket of the dishwasher too. I usually wipe the bowls I used for icing with a papertowel to get the extra bits of icing off before putting those in there too. LOVE the towel on the KA! I had to borrow my SIL's since my mixer dies a sad long overdue death and didn't know about the towel trick till using hers. I'll never go back now. Really I just grin & bear it and enjoy the smell of sweets till all the cleaning is done. thumbs_up.gif

becky27 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 7:54pm
post #23 of 30

hello my name is becky and i am not only a member..i am the President!!! i don't mean too but it just happens...i have an anniversary cake to do and i was on schedule until i realized i have to make frosting...i ususally make a big tub and it lasts me at least three cakes well i forgot i am out.....so now i am behind schedule because i haven't made any yet....once it is done i am fine too...but darn it if i don't want to make a mess again!!!!!!

Skyebaby Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:35pm
post #24 of 30

Yeah folks, I suck today.

I never made my roses icon_sad.gif

And now the baby is asleep for the night and all I want to do is RELAX and catch up on shows/use the computer/veg out. I do not know HOW I will get this butt up off this couch to do them.

I feel like I ran around non-stop today and this is my only 'me' time. DH isn't home from work for another hour either so it's *really* alone time and it's hard to come by!!!

howie Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:54pm
post #25 of 30

I don't mind the baking (even though sometimes I wish it was already done for me) and I don't like icing. I wish it was all done for me so all I had to do was decorate!! Ha.

I know, it's asking for a bit much; but hey, one can wish!

howie Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm
post #26 of 30

Don't ya hate, when you don't feel like doing a cake too but you know you have to?! ha.

sorry, just had to add it.

Skyebaby Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #27 of 30

I did them!!! Feels good to have that off my plate.

They.do.not.look.great. I can honestly admit that. They look alot like flowers, just not like roses. More like carnations icon_smile.gif But I did it for 2hrs and I'm beat. Time to relax and go to freakin' sleep at 11.

jdelaney81 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:46am
post #28 of 30

I am a lifelong member of the procastination club!!! I even did it in high school! I have another batch of cupcakes to make and icing to make...All for Saturday. And I am sitting here with you guys! icon_biggrin.gif

Skyebaby Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:19pm
post #29 of 30

Today is baking and icing-the-cake day!!! My favorite day in the process icon_smile.gif I feel excited about seeing any improvements over last time and can't wait to ice that baby!! I LOVE icing a cake.

An observation..........I've only iced 3 cakes so far and they've each improved greatly to where I am very proud of how I'm doing. Each time, though, I made such a mess, worked for at least 3 hours, screwed up, fixed things, figured things out, got tired, got shortening in my hair etc etc........and they are each far from perfect (and the first one was laughable at best) but I still feel excited to do it again.

Making roses? Same difficult/trying time but I am hoping I NEVER have to do them again. What.a.pain.they.were. I swear I need to find another way to make flowers for cakes 'cuz THAT particular way is NOT my forte. I can just tell. Ugh.

Tee-Y Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #30 of 30

Somehow I'm at my best when the time is short, I love marathon cake decorating icon_lol.gif I kind of get a thrill challenging myself to do a job at the last minute than far far ahead WHY? I don't know!!! I just enjoy it AND I NEVER disappoint that's for sure icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
CLEANUP is the worst part for me but I've learnt to handle things myself cos I've lost quite a number of tools thru the help of cleaners who are not careful or observant enough while cleaning icon_cry.gif one day I went thru the stuff about to be thrashed and picked out a lot of little decorating stuff like miniature blossom cutters,etc , it was amazing what I could have lost icon_eek.gif !!!
I hate preparing and colouring deep coloured fondant but what can I do? We don't have ready made fondant where I live and I LOVE working with fondant so I just roll up my sleeves and dig in icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif !!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%