So Sooo Sorry For This Open Book Question

Decorating By msnrozier Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 11:08am by chanielisalevy

msnrozier Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:00am
post #1 of 10

but I have NO clue what to do and what size pan to use!!!

I am not sure of you use the 11x15 pan or 4 quarter sheets stacked!

Do you carve the middle and the sides? (I do see where I can put the bkmark in the middle)

It seemed real simple when I took the order but this cake really has me tossing and turning b/c I do not know what or how to do this!!!

Again sorry for repost!!!!! I really need serious directions!!

I generally look at a picture and can pull it together but I am confused!!

PLZ help!!!

9 replies
newnancy Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:17am
post #2 of 10

I've never done this so I'll just give you a bump...good luck.

MnSnow Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:18am
post #3 of 10

How mnay people does it have to serve?

kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:21am
post #4 of 10

You can use any size sheet depending on how many servings the customer wants.
When I make an open book I do not stack sheets. Just use a single layer. Well I 'spose one could make a dbl layer if the extra servings were needed.
In the center cut a V and slightly taper the edges to be rounded.
Here are a couple I have done.

ChristaPaloma Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:32am
post #5 of 10

Or you can get the Wilton Open Book pan.. I have but I am just going to use it this June for a Christening and am looking forward to trying it out.

msnrozier Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:40am
post #6 of 10

I want to do a 11x5 with a smaller cake on top, it's for like 50-60 ppl.

I am abt to call around to see if anyone has the wiltons pan!!! I didn't order it becuase I really thought this was a simple cake

sweetjan Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:45am
post #7 of 10

very well done, kakeladi. thanks from all of us!!

BlakesCakes Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:56am
post #8 of 10

You can make an open book out of almost any rectangular pan. I've done a 2 layer 11x15--it served about 60 and today I finished a 2 layer 12x18 to serve 75.

I made a template out of parchment to carve the "V" and taper the edges just a bit so that I don't carve away too many servings.

Last year, I made a 2 layer with the top layer being the Wilton book pan. It's the only cake I was ever told was "a little dry"......the thinner edges baked much for quickly than the "humps"..........I won't be using the book pan again. This is pretty simple to carve and I'm much more secure knowing that the cake won't be "a little dry".........

chanielisalevy Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:06am
post #9 of 10

Open books are really easy-peasy. ANy rectangular cake (can be stacked if you need a thicker book like a dictionary or religious tome or something) then carve a shallow v shape out the length of the center. I can do one in about a half hour excluding all the accents and individual characteristics. Attached is an open book Gemorrah, a Jewish religious tome for a religious schools annual dinner. It served about 50 people. Good luck to you!

chanielisalevy Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:08am
post #10 of 10

Sorry, second picture didn't get attached.

Quote by @%username% on %date%